Bike rack

caroline

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Caroline

Never mind the bike rack ...Wow nice Split - same year as mine (dont have it anymore though :cry: )

Have you got the stock engine or put a later 16 in there?

Beetle looks nice - and what do you mean they are not good on motorways - just plant your right heel on the gas and it will find its own speed! :lol:

Still got my '71 1300 but its patiently waiting a resto for 19 years!

Re: Bike racks I have a ragtop Zed too so interested in your findings, as Mart has mentioned earlier the boot is plastic not metal so not much strength in there and it will dint easily so those MX5 type racks are not much use? You need a folding bike! :)

When you get the rack delivered and fitted can you post some pics - so the rest of us can see how it all works out please?

Good luck with it and dont let the bug drip too much oil on your drive! :lol:

Hello,

Yeah it's got a 1600 lump in it, with single port heads though so it looks like a 1500. I don't know what happened to the original engine although I'm kind of glad it's not 36hp anymore :scare:

It's going in for resto in a couple of weeks B)

The beetle is actually quite economical on motorways but it just takes sooooo long to get anywhere. I have a 2L T4 engine which I've been building although that idea has fallen by the wayside recently as I've been too busy to finish it off. Thats going to help with the acceleration, but top speed will still be poor unless i slap a Gene Berg 5 speed box in it. And even then it's so low I'd be shaken apart over every bump :lol:

Easier to fit a bike rack on the Zed. ;)

I will report back once I have the rack and it's fitted. :D

The guy i brought my car from had the birdautomotive one, although he kept this one quiret when i brought the car. I saw it on ebay a few days later and recognised his writing style. He highly recommended it.

That is encouraging, thanks :thumbs:

Hello,

Yeah it's got a 1600 lump in it, with single port heads though so it looks like a 1500. I don't know what happened to the original engine although I'm kind of glad it's not 36hp anymore :scare:

The beetle is actually quite economical on motorways but it just takes sooooo long to get anywhere. I have a 2L T4 engine which I've been building although that idea has fallen by the wayside recently as I've been too busy to finish it off. Thats going to help with the acceleration, but top speed will still be poor unless i slap a Gene Berg 5 speed box in it. And even then it's so low I'd be shaken apart over every bump :lol:

Blimey you will be busy then with all that lot! Why not fit that new Subaru 2.5 Ltr Diesel Boxer engine in the van - bound to be quick and good on fuel - its a flat 6 also I think?

RX8 engine is tiny that may even fit in the Bug - trouble is the first corner you come to will end up on your door handles! :lol:

Hello,

Blimey you will be busy then with all that lot! Why not fit that new Subaru 2.5 Ltr Diesel Boxer engine in the van - bound to be quick and good on fuel - its a flat 6 also I think?

RX8 engine is tiny that may even fit in the Bug - trouble is the first corner you come to will end up on your door handles! :lol:

I think I'm going to leave the van as standard as it's generally a nice original example but I have known people to put Subaru engines in, if I remember correctly I think they pretty much go straight in without having the hack away at the engine bay.

Someone knows their stuff :thumbs:

Hmmm this thread was supposed to be about bike racks wasn't it? :doh::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Right.

The rack has arrived and I have fitted it.

It wasn't too hard to fit and I actually managed it all on my own today in few hours, and with a stinking hangover! :stretcher:

It seems very strong I can actually sit on it and it takes my weight fine. I'll give it a run on tuesday to see how it fairs.

Here are some pics for you....

Unpacked...

07062009113s.jpg

Drilling holes :scare:

07062009116s.jpg

Base plate fitted

07062009118s.jpg

Rest of rack assembled and put into base plate receiver pipes

07062009121s.jpg

Bike on car

07062009120s.jpg

All seems good so far :yahoo:

Nicely done Caroline.

I notice there are no gears, is it an indoor bike?

Yes that one is my track bike, which is the bike that will need ferrying about the most (ie to the track and back!)

No gears, no brakes either! :surrender:

Yes 5 holes in the rear bumper subframe, and one hole in the spare wheel well.

You mark the one bolt in first (pictured) and drill one 1cm to the side, and then you drill the other 4 with the bracket in place. It's a bit fiddly trying to hold the bracket up to get the first bolt in as it's so heavy. And getting the longbolt to stay so you can get into the spare wheel well and put the nut on is also a pain. Ideally you'd need two people but you can do it on your own if you persevere.

I am a genius :#1::lol:;)

I hope you had some sort of rubber grommet for the longbolt into the spare wheel well, just to make sure no water gets in and/or causes corrosion.

Good point and interestingly no.

But I did give it a lick of paint after drilling the hole as it was worrying me too.

I will look into finding something for it thanks :thumbs:

...do you reckon the frame could take a full suspension MTB without any problems????

Easily.

Like I say I can literally sit on it. And I'm about 10 stone!

I am planning on giving it a proper test run on tuesday I will report back.

Hi Caroline, I am also a keen cyclist and have been taking my road bike to pieces every weekend to get it in the back of the car. Hasn't done my boot any favours as there are now lots of scratches etc!

How much was your rack including p&p from USA? Do you think it would support 2 road bikes?

Also, is it obvious when the rack is removed?

Thanks,

Sean

" Installation of the Receiver Pipes requires attaching a set of brackets to the sturdy aluminum rear bumper cross member which is hidden inside the plastic bumper cover. Attachment is by five self-tapping bolts into small (1/4", 6mm) holes easily drilled from below into the aluminum bumper cross member and another small hole in the spare tire well. "

:scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare:

Just couldn't do it!

I tried a handirack from lidl, great thing, but no good for bikes on a 350.

I've been searching for a universal roof bar available in the uk that I can bolt my cycle carriers onto, but with no luck.

If it wasn't for the drilling, I'd do the same.

When I think about drilling holes in my car, I'd thinkabout the kid off 'HOSTEL' when he gets his thighs drilled before his ankles get sliced. :snack:

Well done for your bravery. Fortunately I have a van. :teeth:

"

When I think about drilling holes in my car, I'd thinkabout the kid off 'HOSTEL' when he gets his thighs drilled before his ankles get sliced. :snack:

:lol:

Hi Caroline, I am also a keen cyclist and have been taking my road bike to pieces every weekend to get it in the back of the car. Hasn't done my boot any favours as there are now lots of scratches etc!

How much was your rack including p&p from USA? Do you think it would support 2 road bikes?

Also, is it obvious when the rack is removed?

Thanks,

Sean

It was not cheap! :scare:

Once I had paid for shipping, duty and the like it was nearly £450 :dummy:

But I guessed that wasn't a lot in the grand scheme of things (ie cost of car and how much I spend on cycling generally)

And yes it's built for 2 bikes and it's so strong I think you might even get a third on there or two mountain bikes at least.

Here's a pic of the back of the car with the rack removed. It's there, you can see it but it's pretty discreet...

09062009123s.jpg

wow that's really good -very stealth!

re:

Good point and interestingly no.

But I did give it a lick of paint after drilling the hole as it was worrying me too.

I will look into finding something for it thanks

Just buy a small tin of DumDum compound - (its like a tar putty) you just need a small amount roll it into a ball size of a marble then just push it into the hole area that you drilled -it will seal the gap - no need to remove your fixings then and it will keep the water etc out.

8317.jpg

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... nd%20(400g)

Last update!

I've been out tonight in the Zed and with bikes. I've been up to 90 (shhh! :blush: ) with 2 bikes on the back no problem whatsoever.

I have loads of faith in the rack I cannot recommend it enough to those brave enough to drill a few small holes in their car :surrender:

The best thing about it is you can still use the boot so I got two bods + two bikes + two loads of stuff (changes of clothes, etc) in the zed tonight when I went to the track.

Plus, once you've done the initial installation it literally takes less than 30 seconds to fit the rack each time after.

Big thumbs up from me :thumbs: