Doric OT chat

JT1703

To cut a long and annoying story short I had to cut off one the spacers, therefore I now have 3 x perfect spacers c/w nuts ( ideal for any Robin Reliant owners ) and 1 x completely knackered spacer ( good for feck all :rant::angry::cry::bang: )

I had originally agreed to sell them to Steve ( sunset350z ) but this was before I had to bugger about trying to remove the final spacer ( it was literally the final nut that rounded and wouldn't budge having been gunned on when I changed wheels ).

Still swithering whether or not to keep a hold of the 3 spacers , source a 4th and stick them back on with my OEM wheels over winter ?!.

Is "swithering" doric ?? :blush:

Sorry , I'm still deciding ......................

Think so. I never knew 'chuckies' was doric until I started getting some very blank looks one day.....

:lol: The Irish other half had never heard of chuckies until recently either

Sarnie wrote:

And wtf is doric?

That should be ftf is doric..... ;):lol: :lol:

Doric is the regional dialect of North East Scotland.

Something like this:

Fit like mannie?

Ach, chavving awa.

fit fine wither the day!

Aye, ah ken. I'm fair trickit wi it!

translation....

Hello, how are you today (to male)

Well, I'm ok

What nice weather we're having today

Yes, I know. I'm very pleased with it.

I had no idea that chuckies and swithering were doric either. Funny how certain words just seem entirely normal but draw drank stares from non-locals :lol:

I have always thought that "swithering" means something like "dithering" - hesitating, perplexed, not quite able to make up your mind.

And is this use of "chuckies" meaning small stones? If so, I first heard it when I left the North-East and came to live in the central belt.

I had no idea that chuckies and swithering were doric either. Funny how certain words just seem entirely normal but draw drank stares from non-locals :lol:

I have always thought that "swithering" means something like "dithering" - hesitating, perplexed, not quite able to make up your mind.

And is this use of "chuckies" meaning small stones? If so, I first heard it when I left the North-East and came to live in the central belt.

Spot on :thumbs:

The only other time I have heard "chuckies" being used was playing football when someone got kicked in the chuckies !! :blink::blush:

Sarnie wrote:

And wtf is doric?

That should be ftf is doric..... ;):lol: :lol:

Doric is the regional dialect of North East Scotland.

Something like this:

Fit like mannie?

Ach, chavving awa.

fit fine wither the day!

Aye, ah ken. I'm fair trickit wi it!

translation....

Hello, how are you today (to male)

Well, I'm ok

What nice weather we're having today

Yes, I know. I'm very pleased with it.

That was the exact conversation my mate and I taught our taxi driver in Bali. Everytime we got in he'd then say, "Fit like manny, foo ye deein eh day?" :lol:

My Uncle has lived in Azerbaijan for years (12 or something) and was popular with the locals. Anyway, my Dad was a regular business visitor and one time he jumped in a taxi and the driver said 'aright min, fits the hampden roar?' My dad smiled said 'aye, very good. Am nae bad' then he just blurted out ' Hey min! F*** the English!' My dad burst out laughing. Got chatting and to cut a long story short 'Big Davie' had taught him all the phrases...... big surprise - my Uncle. The driver was well impressed that Big Davies brother was 'blethering' with him though.

The funniest one I had was walking into my office in Siberia on my first day being introduced to folk and a Saudi Arabian said 'It's singin' doon wi sna min' I burst out laughing - it was 38*C outside! Anyway turned out that another guy in that office was from south of Aberdeen and he'd picked up that phrase.