Martinmac versus the met office

martinmac

My car was supposed to be getting detailed yesterday but thanks to the met offices prediction of rain it was cancelled. It didnt rain all day :angry:

I had let it get a little scruffier than normal to give the guy a chance to show how good he was. With the pistonhead meet coming up I had to do it myself now :headhurt:

Fairy liquid, Poorboys Black hole and Dodo Juice Blue magic.

Picture1001-5.jpg

Picture1002-2.jpg

Picture1003-3.jpg

Picture1004-3.jpg

Looking very nice and clean. I always take the met offices word over the BBC, but looks like they messed up yesterday.

One thing I would say, in the reflective pic over the rear wheel arch you look about 3 foot tall, 2 foot of that is your body! :lol:

I always use Fairy liquid to get it down to the base before clay barring. :)
I thought claying a car was meant to have the same effect, clearing all previous wax and polish off. Have I got this wrong or are you making certain there is nothing left on the paint?

I thought claying a car was meant to have the same effect, clearing all previous wax and polish off. Have I got this wrong or are you making certain there is nothing left on the paint?

Claying pulls the nasty stuff off / out of the paint. The wash will do as Martin says (although I wouldn't recommend Fairy myself!) and the clay 'cleans' the paint of the contaminates, sap, grit etc. in the topcoat. :)

Claying pulls the nasty stuff off / out of the paint. The wash will do as Martin says (although I wouldn't recommend Fairy myself!) and the clay 'cleans' the paint of the contaminates, sap, grit etc. in the topcoat. :)

cheers for clearing that up for me, just when I thought I had understood car detailing :headhurt:

cheers for clearing that up for me, just when I thought I had understood it

The science goes that the water / lubricant acts as a thin layer and as the soft but sticky clay passes over the dirt it sticks in the clay rather than stay in the paint. Then you are left with lots of little holes and dirty bits that polishing then flattens and fills. After than, you put a protector on (sealant or hard wax) and then you put you nice looking wax as a finish. :)

The "Fairy" or any car safe all purpose cleaner will help degrease the paintwork and disolve any last stage products such as waxes and sealents. The clay bar is used to remove surface contaminants such as tree sap or tar, it will also lift wax but you really need to clean it down and degrease it first so that the claybar works more effectively.

R :)

Nowt wrong with fairy if you are planning to do a full detail. Cleans off all sorts of wax and grease that normal cleaning wont shift.

You've inspired me Mr Mac. My baby is currently sitting in the garage after a clean and clay. Got the Kestrel DA polisher out for a little poorboys session on it this evening and some Dodo SN2 to top it off B)