Acidic wheel cleaners-ok or not?

rawbhp

Hey all,

I am finding this detailing forum really interesting, being pretty anal about keeping my car clean! One thing I haven't been able to find is info on acidic wheel cleaners. I have always used Wonder Wheels in the past after it got good reviews in a number of tests. I have only tried it on painted/laquered and powdercoated wheels, but it has always done the job really well. I never leave it on for more than 60 secs but use several applications if the wheel needs it. I have never noticed any bad effects.

I have noticed that most detailers on here use non-acidic cleaners which are obviously kinder to wheels but are they as effective? Any info would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

Step away from the Wonder Wheels! :scare: It destroys alloys no matter what the coating, it will eventually damage them.

I suggest (and you wont like it, its a lot of effort and time), you get the wheels off, clean them normally, clay them to get off the brake dust and then when nice and clean, coat them in wheel sealant like PoorBoys. Takes ages, but once dont, you dont need any nasty acidic wheel cleaners, just an old washmitt and normal water and shampoo. Cleans up dead easy :thumbs:

Step away from the Wonder Wheels! :scare: It destroys alloys no matter what the coating, it will eventually damage them.

I suggest (and you wont like it, its a lot of effort and time), you get the wheels off, clean them normally, clay them to get off the brake dust and then when nice and clean, coat them in wheel sealant like PoorBoys. Takes ages, but once dont, you dont need any nasty acidic wheel cleaners, just an old washmitt and normal water and shampoo. Cleans up dead easy :thumbs:

+1 on this, never use wonderwheels as its terrible stuff! i find - as above - the best way to get them clean and stay clean

i have used something called billberry wheel cleaner from a trader off detailing world - its branded as a safe wheel cleaner but i'm not sure how reliable that info is! If i had wheels i actually liked i probably wouldn't use it!

so is bilberry safe then? I have watered it down but i find its not very good unless i use a strong solution.

Bilberry is fine if you dilute it to the specs. Could try detailersworld and see what they recommend as the dilution ratio on there. Since using PB Wheel Sealant, I honestly have never had need for wheel cleaners.

I have noticed that most detailers on here use non-acidic cleaners which are obviously kinder to wheels but are they as effective? Any info would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

Tim already answered your question.

I discovered a long time back that Meguiar's Wheel Cleaner is pretty aggressive on rim surface.

Personally I use a non-acidic Turbo Wax Wheel Brightener. It's not aggressive, but works a treat without wrecking the surface, and is easy to use.

Non-acidic all the way. Quite a few cars I've detailed had rims like that Audi Tim did the other week, truly horrible, so in that situation I usually do 2 applications, rinsing as I go.

Step away from the Wonder Wheels! :scare: quote]

I had a feeling a few people would say that! I have always used Megs and AG cleaning products in the past but I am quite interested in the Poor Boys stuff. Would Spray & Rinse do the job (edit-just noticed this is acidic too!?)? Also is wheel sealant actually any different to normal wax or just the same stuff in a different container?

Thanks for the advice so far :thumbs:

Step away from the Wonder Wheels! :scare:

I had a feeling a few people would say that! I have always used Megs and AG cleaning products in the past but I am quite interested in the Poor Boys stuff. Would Spray & Rinse do the job (edit-just noticed this is acidic too!?)? Also is wheel sealant actually any different to normal wax or just the same stuff in a different container?

Thanks for the advice so far :thumbs:

In all honesty, the PB Wheel Sealant is probably just like any other sealant. Its not a wax, its more hard wearing than that. Something I quite often recommend to people is to get AG Extra Gloss Protection (EGP). This is a sealant much like PB wheel but PB claim that theres is more heat resistant to resist baking on of brake dust. Dont know if its true, but my wheels are still easy to clean, so it doing something right!

I had this very debate on the MLR the other day.

Most detailers that detail for a living dont use it. I'll copy and paste my reply below:

I was caught up in all the bilberry hype but felt OK its more expensive than what I was using (autosmart smart wheels) but IF it truly is a spray on rinse off product then the time I'd save on jobs would be worth the price premium.

Sadly it was hype for me and I moved on to now use Espuma Revolution. Dilutes 10:1, acid free and is approx £17 for 5 litres or £8.31 for 1 litre (which is 10 litres at working strength) Good value and even cheaper if you buy 25 litres but that would last years!

Tim

I was actually amazed to be backed up by polished bliss who said

I agree with Tim about the Bilberry; we tested the entire Valet Pro line last year, and Bilberry performed less well than our current pH neutral product, which is Blackfire Gel Wheel & Tyre Cleaner. For really tough dust problems, Meguiars Wheel Brightener is hard to beat

i'm not impressed with the Bilberry either - and mine doesn't smell nice! :lol:

I wouldn't say it's better than any others but I like the smell. It works well for my application. I have loads so I'll work away at it!

I've never used wheel brightener to be honest but the bilberry left my Dads Rangie Supercharged wheels visibly, well, brighter after use.

I'm sure for the pros there are better products out there but it does me fine!

When young and foolish, I used Wonder Wheels on my OZ Superlegerras..... :headhurt: Don't do it!

I now use a mix of stuff, anything from just water, through to very occasionally on the tough bits diluted AG Clean Wheels but then immediately rinsed and dried...... :)

I have the Bilberry at the moment and like others I've not been overly impressed. The smell is nice but the fact that it doesn't cling to the wheel surface and penetrate into the dirt like some of the gel based products do means that it doesn't help a great deal in shifting the muck IMO. I think most of the time my wash shampoo is doing all the work as the Bilberry has just run off onto the ground. And that's using it neat too!

I'm going to try some of the Autobrite Verry Cherry next as that seems to be getting rave reviews.

The current GB on detailing world seems like quite good value. For £19.99 you get:

1 x 5 Litres of Very Cherry Acid Free Wheel Cleaner (Dilutes up to 20-1)

1 x Big Blaster Foaming Trigger

1 x 947ML Bottle

48hr Delivery

See here for more info, he should have more in stock any day now:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=100362

Another thing to remember is that having the right brushes for the job makes a huge difference too. With the combinations of brushes I have I can easily clean all of the wheel including right inside the rim.