Project350z now complete and ready for 2009

Muddy

Truly impressive Craig! (apart from those swirls on the NSR quarter panel, looks like you need a detailer :lol::p )

Seriously, that is a great result from what is clearly a lot of effort, and you've built something that the whole 350Z community can be proud of. I hope you get the success you've had in the past with it in the shows. Good choice with Source sounds on the ICE too. I competed against them for a few years and they build some impressive cars both install and sound wise. Hertz equipment sounds good too.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Can you give us some idea of the routine you go through getting it to / from the shows and keeping it in true show winning condition / state? :)

What swirls?? LOL

Paul @ Source is a top bloke and really eased me into all this ICE malarky. The Hertz is awesome to listen too and even though we have put rear speakers in (It's a show car) it does sound amazing.

Tips on keeping the car in true show winning condition.

Don't drive it!!!! No seriously, I think getting the car to a high degree of cleanliness from the beginning means it becomes far easier to clean when it gets dirty. As the dirt is just surface and superficial not old and ingrained. (Make sense??)

For shows it different for me, if it's a big one like this weekend I take a support car and have all my cleaning stuff in there. It rained on my way down on Friday. No problem, I jacked the car up, removed all wheels, cleaned all wheels, cleaned all arches, cleaned under rear of car, cleaned underneath of engine and then started on the polishing etc.

For a normal show I'd wash and dry with an Autoglm chamios, I find that the paint is a little soft on mine (And on many other zed's) so a waffle weave may be a bit too tough for it. If the car just gets a little dusty say in summer I'd refrain from washing it?? Maybe just do the wheels. The moer you wash and dry the moer chance you have of damaging the paint work. If it's just summer dust then maybe clean it every 2 weeks instead of everyweek?? That's what i do anyway

Bu**er have I just given away my trade secrets there ;)

:lol: Just pulling ya leg mate!

Do you drive them much inbetween shows? It is a good point about not cleaning it too much, and hadn't thought about the waffle weave vs. chamois. I've got both and have more recently been using the AG. I guess it's the jacking it up that is the step I don't take too often!

Have you had the results from the show yet?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been looking around for pics of the show but can't seem to find any. Got any of the other cars competing. Having been in that world for quite a few years its interesting to see how its moved on over the year. Quite wierd to think I'm not there trying to push the boundries etc.

Been looking around for pics of the show but can't seem to find any. Got any of the other cars competing. Having been in that world for quite a few years its interesting to see how its moved on over the year. Quite wierd to think I'm not there trying to push the boundries etc.

Me too, first time I haven't been for about 7 years I think......

Just looking through your spec list....where did the other screens go? Am intreagued! :teeth:

:#3: Good luck for the judging, the car deserves awards at the show :thumbs: Have heard from a few people at the show that the quality of cars is much better than previous years!

Andy looks like there is a 15" in the boot floor next to the amp and two 7" in where the tonneau cover would sit

Excellent work there mate! B)

Few ideas in there that I had been planning to do. With your dash flock, I assume the passenger airbag has been disabled? If not, let me know who did it as everyone I've asked had to disable it :surrender: Also with the harnesses, where are the mounted to? I see no harness bar, so are they just for show? The angle they are running is far to steep to run them properly from what I've read of.

Passenger air bag is not disabled. As far as I'm aware the resin will not hold the panel in place on explosion.

I'd rather not tell you who did the flocking as, he was an a*seh"le and some of the stuff was not done properly so had to be re-done. Basically what should have taken no longer than 2 weeks took 3 months and cost me dearly.

Harness are fixed to x2 new locations I drilled in the rear footwell. I can't say that it would be a problem yes it is steep but they are functional and I'd probably use them as proper harnesses anyway at sometime.

Hmm interesting. I had been in contact with Autoflock who are supposidly very good at flocking and get many rave reviews. They said that they would not ever flock over a hidden airbag like ours as the resin would likely cause it not to release correctly. I was hoping your man had done something differently so I could get it done too :surrender:

Ok , back from a very long weekend, I'm knackered.

Unfortuntatley I didn't win anything :(

The long and short of it was I was head to head with a Subaru for Best of Show, the Subaru won. So even though i was 2nd best car in the competition I didn't pick up any of the category awards either???

Bit gutted as this one was the only one I haven't won.

Never mind there's always the next show.

The Subaru was a worthy winner though and did get my vote from the start.

Next one is Modified Live in 2 weeks.

Sorry to hear that, having been part of the scene in years past I've always been a bit sceptical sometimes of the judging... But, as you say yourself, it may be some consolation to know that at least you lost out to a worthy winner for that category. There's always next time B)

These sorts of competitions always had some sort of controversy with the voting and results. They rarely made sense!

It is one of the most impressive Zeds I've seen, am sure success will follow. :)

Thanks for the comments again guys, much appreciated.

Almost forgot in my original post ot thank everyone who helped me build my dream Zed :teeth:

So..........

Big thanks go to

Kev & Gareth @ Envy Performance - Supplied almost all the carbon and wheels. We finally got everything together just in time ;)

Adam @ z1 auto - excellent service and fast delivery on Bride seats and invidia exhaust

Chris @ JDM performance - excellent service - supplied the Jic magic carbon strut brace, depo rear lights, polished washer bottle cap

Glenn & Keith @ Revolution - excllent service - supplied the eibach ARB's, whiteline droplinks and steering wheel - also set up geometery

Dan @ SRB Power - for the Chargespeed bodykit - almost convinced me to go with the super gt kit - but I wouldn't of been able to get the car in the garage :teeth:

Rob @ R&Rauotrefinishing in Lincoln - spent hours on refining bodykit to fit properly and painted - helped with all carbon stuff.

Paul & Lee @ Source - superb service for an audio novice like me - supplied the best equipment available within my budget - built door pods and tuned system. (can't wait to get chatting to them again for a phase 2 on the audio)

Signmyrideuk.com for suppliying my graphics at such short notice

All the help and support from the members of 350z-uk forum :teeth: especially R35Lee and Zmanalex

Dammit ! Me and the gf spent AAAAGGGGEEESSSSS gawking at your car! Didnt realise you were on this forum - wish i had said hello now.

I spent a while taking snaps of the rear diffuser/pipes. Nicely placed mirror btw! :) We were parked over on the 'public' parking. Ironically, there was a lot of metal in that field that i thought should have been in the main compound on show lol

Who owned the S2000 in that AutoGlym area? That looked fantastic too. Wasnt too sure about that Fiesta. "What is it" was being said a bit tooo often !