New forum discussion

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but theres one little thing that I dislike with the new forum theme that has been doing my head in for a while now:

forumissue.jpg

I'm on page 4 but its really not that clear. Could you change the colour of the active page by any chance to white maybe? I know that you can tell by hovering over it with your mouse but it just annoys me a little :blush:

Also, any way a link to the main page could be setup for then you click the 350z-uk.com main logo on the header?? Would be easier than scrolling down to the bottom. :teeth:

look at the left side of the page level with the 1,2,3,4,5etc.... mine shows Page 6 of 6 [79 posts]

or did you want something more obvious?

Actually never noticed that :lol: Still think it could do with being made a different colour though!

Think the current used to be in bold and the others werent or something like that. The usual style I see is for the current page the number isnt underlined and for the others (which are links) it is. It might be the new style doesnt underline links which is what the problem is.

That cant be changed so easily, so will probably not be altered. As we already have quote a bit of stuff below the actual header image/main links, a further addition below would start to push items like the forums themselves further down the page, which would contribute to the "psaced out" look that is the biggest change for most.

Am still working on the suggestions of:

adding thread category to another column on the search results pages

changing display of pagination menu at the top and bottom to make it clearer which page you are on

adding link to portal to main logo image at the top

There are other major additions to the site being worked upon as well, but the above list are the little niggles on that are to be adressed in the process.

That cant be changed so easily, so will probably not be altered. As we already have quote a bit of stuff below the actual header image/main links, a further addition below would start to push items like the forums themselves further down the page, which would contribute to the "psaced out" look that is the biggest change for most.

Am still working on the suggestions of:

adding thread category to another column on the search results pages

changing display of pagination menu at the top and bottom to make it clearer which page you are on

adding link to portal to main logo image at the top

There are other major additions to the site being worked upon as well, but the above list are the little niggles on that are to be adressed in the process.

Thats fair enough, i just think from a design and usability stance, i would have done it differently.

With regards to you 3 points, i think they should all be done :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that, but also looking at the stats we are getting busier and busier every day, so it might be down to traffic more than anything. I would expect that serving pages comes over email notifications in the forum software, so more page views will likely slow down emails. Might have been a consious effort by the Admin team to cut down on load though as batching the emails will likely reduce load compared to doing them real time.

Will be looking to post stats on how active we are and other interesting info on a regular basis.

The email problem is actually that the server is trying to send that many confirmation emails to that many people, it is being interpreted as us sending spam :lol: Will look at changing the way the confirmation emails are sent to try and get round this.

Have made a slight tweak to the email settings, in that the forum will now send out a maximum of 99 emails at once (this was previously 50). For threads where the number of active participants is more than 50, the previous limit may have caused issues (for example the wales thread has at least 61 contributors).

There is another setting I can try but will look at that in a while, though with how busy we are, you may want to think about setting email notification off, and bookmarking topics or using the my posts function, or you could end up with a LOT of email :lol:

For those that are interested, here are a few pieces of info giving an idea of just how busy we are...

1. Taking into account all posts made since the forum began on Dec 31st 2005, we have had 240 posts per day. In recent weeks this has grown rather a lot, and we are running at around 650+ posts per day now.

2. We receive visitors from EVERY continent on the planet. Locations including Brazil, South Africa, Sudan, Algeria and Azerbaijan

3. In a single day this week (yesterday) we had 602 unique visitors as measured by google, and served over 24,000 pages, so far in May we have served up over 115,000 pages (this does not include the refreshing of search pages either). If you include all items served up (images, pages including refreshes etc), its over 1.6 Million items.

4. Total bandwidth served so far in May exceeds 10GB.

Will look at being able to provide some more detailed stats on the forum itself in the future, but as you can see, its fairly busy round here :lol:

4. Total bandwidth served so far in May exceeds 10GB.

And I'm guessing most of that is text (as you have the main images cached and not many other images are hosted on here - most are on photobucket), that is a hell of a lot of data!

And almost 4% usage from iPhones - you big geeks! :lol: