New forum discussion

Nixy - are you using internt explorer or firefox?

My fathers laptop was suffrig he very sam issue as yourself when viewing ebay - he could litterally go for a cup of team when navigating pages. I tried everything to try and fix it but with no luck, it seemed to be some issue with his pc and one of the IE "fixes" that was to do with redrawing the page and javascript etc.

The solution in the end was to use firefox, as I could find no explanation as to why just that one site (ebay) was affected and so drastically.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nixy - are you using internt explorer or firefox?

My fathers laptop was suffrig he very sam issue as yourself when viewing ebay - he could litterally go for a cup of team when navigating pages. I tried everything to try and fix it but with no luck, it seemed to be some issue with his pc and one of the IE "fixes" that was to do with redrawing the page and javascript etc.

The solution in the end was to use firefox, as I could find no explanation as to why just that one site (ebay) was affected and so drastically.

Using IE but i may switch to Firefox although I wasn't keen on it last time i used it.

I have a feeling that all these "ages to do X" are specific PC related. The new forum was extensively tested by the team (myself, I tested on IE and FF on my personal laptop, work laptop, work PC, and Amandas work laptop) and all performed fine. Other members of the team did the same, so we covered off as many as the combos as possible. I think older PCs stuggle to "draw" the new forum as quickly as the old one as its new look takes more power. Still, it shouldnt take a lot of power to do it.

Can those experiencing problems make sure IE is up to date and possibly test with FF to see if it behaves the same?

will do.

Nixy it well may also be worth uninstalling AVG I recently installed it on my dads's machine and it slowed his explorer down loads. I un installed it and it was fine. I really dont like AVG as a anti vius solution.

will do.

Nixy it well may also be worth uninstalling AVG I recently installed it on my dads's machine and it slowed his explorer down loads. I un installed it and it was fine. I really dont like AVG as a anti vius solution.

Good point. I run AVG free and the most recent release slowed my PC down quite a bit. I'm planning on getting Kaspersky at some point. If running AVG on anything other than a recent PC then it might slow it down enough to cause the issue. Nixy are you running full AVG or AVG free? I think there are more features in full AVG which could slow it down even more. With AVG free, it does have a link scanner which may be causing the problem?

will do.

Good point. I run AVG free and the most recent release slowed my PC down quite a bit. I'm planning on getting Kaspersky at some point. If running AVG on anything other than a recent PC then it might slow it down enough to cause the issue. Nixy are you running full AVG or AVG free? I think there are more features in full AVG which could slow it down even more. With AVG free, it does have a link scanner which may be causing the problem?

Can well recommend Kaspersky, i find it much better than Norton ;)

Good buy from here ;)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 64&subcat=

Good buy from here ;)

£8 :scare: Gonna buy it now, thats dirt cheap! Is that just for a year or what?

Good buy from here ;)

£8 :scare: Gonna buy it now, thats dirt cheap! Is that just for a year or what?

Yes just 1 year. I buy all my stuff from overclockers. It just cheaper to buy the latest version every year. :thumbs:

bizarrely the forum has been fine all day even without doing any of the recommended things, then when I logged back on tonight it is as slow as ever. It's so bad after posting and/or sending PM's that I'm giving up for the night before I throw the computer through the window! :dummy:

How very weird. I would expect the site is quite busy now, but it doesnt seem any slower than any other time now.

Heres a new idea. Your internet connection may be very busy as lots of local users log on. If you are feeling geeky, do a speed test now and when its quicker and repeat a few times and see what the response is like. It might be local contention to the internet. http://www.speedtest.net/ :thumbs:

One issue previously raised was the visibility of the PM notification on the header if you did not see or do not have pop ups.

When you get a new PM the notification/link at the top of the page should now turn red. (if peopl dont like red, we can come up with some other colour :lol: )

One issue previously raised was the visibility of the PM notification on the header if you did not see or do not have pop ups.

When you get a new PM the notification/link at the top of the page should now turn red. (if peopl dont like red, we can come up with some other colour :lol: )

Jade green for me please, Chris. I don't like red because it clashes with my eyes... ;)

Very good :) (maybe an idea to change the background too, or is that too difficult? - I know you like a challenge! ;) )