protein powder/shakes

hi guys and girls...

well im mid work out and got thinking about my protein afterwards.

mainly aimed at the people who have any experience with protein...

i've used a few brands now and i cant decide which one i prefer the most... would love to hear of your past experience's with any powder. brands i have used are

U.S.N

Garnell nutrition

Dorian Yates

Reflex

xyience

Met-rx

currently my 2 fav's are Reflex and Dorian yates mainly due to taste and results....

worst of that list is probably the met-rx stuff tbh

PHD Nutrition is about to win a huge award aswell.. any experiences anyone?

any thoughts??

-ho

Hi I've got a fair bit of experience with supplements..what exactly you after? A meal replacement or a protein shake i.e whey which is probably the best and most popular and is this for straight after your workout and you trying to cut up or put on some size?

trying to put on a bit of size tbh..... well ive been aiming for putting on a bit of bulk and when im happy with the size then tone tone tone... ive put on about a stone since i started properly training from home about 4 months ago....

in essence i do weights one day, cardio the next day and so and so on. also i play footy on sundays and wednesdays which means i do weights at night time on them days...

currently at 12.1 stone.. 10.2% body fat and 64% water mass, 44 inch chest and im 5'9 so im doing alright... biggest changes i have seen was through the dorian yates stuff but it made me flatulent so i didnt carry it on... reflex is very very close...

i've also got the garnell nutrition anabolic mass and also mammoth 2500 weight gainer.. i drink them on persay non weight training days and weight training days i drink the whey protein...

-ho

Maximuscle cyclones good. I've tried mixing different things such as EAS massfactor and creatine and all different ones. Maximuscle is expensive stuff but for gaining size and stregnth i dont think you can beat it. I used to train everyday at uni and my house mate was under 23 british bench press champion and he didnt really rate it untill i persuaded him to start using it and i dont think he touches much else now.

I go maximucle cyclone for 4 or 5 weeks and then swap to maximuscle promax for a couple of weeks to give my body a break from the creatine.

If you want to increase the intensity of your workout there are loads of No2 stuff out there like tri-matrix and pump up or even maxipower and this will help train harder and i found lift heavier weights

If you want to put on size then its all about EATING and CARBS!! Supplements can come later...I took mammoth a while back, about 7 years ago I was 10 stone, started training hard and used to eat 2-3 times a day but now eating 6-7 times a day, expensive when trying to eat the right foods and you need the damn time but results show for good..usually winter time stack up with heavy weights, low reps and opposite before the summer :D

BTW Nearly 15 stones now and training 3 times a week with intense workouts and footie once a week..

I tried No2 last year, ronnie colemans stuff and give me some fooked up side effects, used to wake up around 4am needing a slash lol!!

I started a course of superpump 250 as heard alot about it a few weeks ago as had a bad shoulder injury 6 months ago and its giving me good strength but in the end comes down to diet, resting a training..and protein I'm using USN muscle fuel, tastes nice and get a good price on it :-)

myprotein.co.uk one of the purest forms out there tastes great lots of choice to suit your needs or the only other choice id advise is Vp2. Oh and purer still... egg whites :thumbs:

Regarding Met-rx there are two types...

European Met-rx = CRAP !!!

American Met-rx = VERY GOOD

dont get them confused they are worlds apart

myprotein.co.uk one of the purest forms out there tastes great lots of choice to suit your needs or the only other choice id advise is Vp2. Oh and purer still... egg whites :thumbs:

Met-rx has gone down hill alot recently, remember few years back it was up there with EAS's myoplex..

Few guys at the gym go for myprotein.co.uk's supplements, very well priced!!

Met-rx has gone down hill alot recently, remember few years back it was up there with EAS's myoplex..

Few guys at the gym go for myprotein.co.uk's supplements, very well priced!!

Met-rx europe gave Met--rx USA a real bad name, but Met-rx USA is still an excellent product if you can get hold of it imo

But to be honest the best protein out there has to be KFC... :lol::headhurt:

- 5 grams of creatine monohydrate a day

- 10 grams of L-Gloutamine a day (20 grams on days you exercise)

- your weight in kilos times 0.025 in protein (ie 80 kg x 0.025 = 200 grams) a day (whey protein is the best)

- no more than your weight in grams of fat a day (ie 80kg means 80 grams of fat)

- as many complex carbohydrates a day as you want depending on whether you want to gain weight or not... (ie you want an intake of 3000kcal a day, minus Kcals from protein and fat, what is left is the Kcals you need to take from carbohydrates)

- the best multivitamin you can get with minerals and all sorts....

Get your self a nice book as well on sports nutrition and food nutritional values.... and dont bother too much with brands....

:thumbs:

ps PHD supplements are quite good by the way...thats all i am using for the last 3 months... only cos the PHD shop is half a mile away from my house.... :lol:

I can recommend PHD stuff. Its my sole supplement now purely because it taste soooooo good. Ive tried so many all in ones and meal replacements that made me physically gag - the PHD all in one in Strawberry Cheesecake flavour is the best tasting supplement Ive had. Ive even tried the Chocolate Orange and the Banana and all of them are really nice but the Strawberry is unbeatable. Id drink it even if I werent training as its nicer then most standard milkshakes out there :p

Give it a go - you wont be dissappointed :thumbs:

I only use ON Gold Whey. Great taste. Have a look on www.bodybuilding.com, they did a feature on what supplements people use and its one of the biggest forums in the world.

Some great workouts on there too. I'm currently on ON twice a day with extra L-glutamine, animal Pak vitamins (about 7 tablets a pack!), animal nitro on training days and creatine twice a day. I rattle when I walk and its expensive! Seeing good results though.

Been on this current setup for about 3 weeks, prob in another 6 weeks time I'll try a Animal Stak cycle as its supposed to be good for hard gainers. My weight is up from 16 to 17 stone in 3 months, my arms up from 14.5 inches to just over 16 inches since October. Can't shift my belly tho, need to increase my cardio. I'm still a beginner and learning though, can't pass 100kilo pressing yet which is my target for May.

I use maximuscle Promax - best you can get in my humble opinion. It also mixes with water and has no milk derivitives ( no gas and no lactose intolerance issues ) Creatine is great if used correctly, all of the GB Olympic team are on it and have been for years.

I used to do a bit of body building years ago, also fully trained in sports massage and trainer. Most people eat no where near enough protein and these shakes help boost intake. Great at night and in morning.

Just rememeber when reading 'Meat Head Monthly' etc that whilst the training programs/advice is usually pretty good, the gains quoted, and men photograghed are rather unattainable unless you possess very freaky genetics or a large supply of steriods !

Just rememeber when reading 'Meat Head Monthly' etc that whilst the training programs/advice is usually pretty good, the gains quoted, and men photograghed are rather unattainable unless you possess very freaky genetics or a large supply of steriods !

:lol:

thats the thing genetically my family aren't big... thats why im doing a fair bit to change that also i hate the chinese stereotype thing.. skinny weedy small chinese person with glasses....

as u can see its a vanity thing.....

well ive got about a week left of the reflex stuff so i need to be making my mind up soon....

I live around the corner from PHD and use their protein all the time. Just started on their synergy, which had the proteins,glutamine,creatine,taurine etc and all the req'd aminos. Everything you need to help your muscle grow grow grow.

Diet is very very important remember, don't rely purely on shakes.

For a budget supplement, reflex are a good choice.

PS if you go in to PHD ask for the internet price, and you'll save around six quid on each tub of protein at least. Or use their website 'monster supplements'.

Although, the thing about bodybuilding_genetics are everything in my opinion .

You might get big and strong, but different people grow muscle at greater rates, metabolism is a huge factor,some look more ripped due to thinner skin, etc etc.

:worthless: