US vs UK

Hot Rod Zombie

I'm new on here and I was looking around and noticing that insurance seems to be quite high compared to the US. The husband and I may be moving to the UK sometime in the next two years. I know it's going to be awhile, but I was just curious about the insurance rates.

I got my Z two years ago when I was 19. I'm 21, I'll be 22 in a week. I pay $69 (£48) a month here in the states / $414 (£290) per six months. I've paid that amount since the day I got my car.

I was involved in two accidents last year, both were 100% the other persons fault, but of course is still reflected on my record. My insurance just renewed as of yesterday and my rates are still the same as what I've been paying for the last two years. Other than the two Not-At-Fault accidents, my record is spotless.

Should I assume if I move over there, my insurance rates will raise drastically if I were import my Z or even just a buy a Z over there?

Yep. Basically 3 tarrifs. You would want Fully Comprehensive though. That actually covers you!

A lot depends on post codes (zip codes if you like...) as inner city will be much higher than outside.

I'm a lucky one with a good post code!

Awesome. Thanks so much! I've just been reading a lot of stuff on here and it seems like insurance is so high there in the UK. I can't imagine paying that much over here, but I understand there are different standards and whatnot over there.

Thanks again!

you have just summed up the uk. we get ripped off on EVERYTHING :rant:

Remember also that cars are half the cost in the US than they are over here, so a $30K car would cost £30K over here more or less. Going on that, $414 every six months would be actually be £414, or £828 annually. It's still cheaper yes, but not by as much as you think when you compare the relative values of the cars in the domestic currency.

I was 22 when i started my policy with bell.co.uk with no no claims experience at all and it was just over 2 thousand pounds for 10 months.

It was cheaper for women but not that much and as also cheaper for an unmodified Zed too.

The insurer on here will not insure you unless you have a years no claims bonus, (I rang up and tried)

Well worth it though :lol:

Also remember that once you are 25 years of age in the UK, your insurance premium should drop.

On another note, when I bought my Zed, I phoned up my insurance and asked how much more the insurance would be compared to my JDM Honda Prelude (1992, 2.2L VTEC).

The kind lady checked and said the magic words "Sir, there will be no change in premium for you"

Thanks for all the replies!! This has really helped a LOT.

Remember also that cars are half the cost in the US than they are over here, so a $30K car would cost £30K over here more or less. Going on that, $414 every six months would be actually be £414, or £828 annually. It's still cheaper yes, but not by as much as you think when you compare the relative values of the cars in the domestic currency.

Really? I'm really interested in exotics and whatnot.. I was looking at Lambo's for fun and I've found SEVERAL that I could save myself around $80,000 if I bought one over there as opposed to the states.

I found that be the case for quite a few different higher end cars. Then again, it was posted in another thread, and I assume this is the case.. the UK is generally closer to the places these cars are assembled.. I would assume it'd be cheaper because it doesn't have to be shipped so far and whatnot.

Depends where they were made, really. Lotuseseses are much more expensive, but anything Japanese will be about half the cost. IIRC Porkers are a bit cheaper, and obviously anything that has a huge engine, goes like stink but falls over at a corner will be much cheaper for you guys too ;) I haven't looked at super/hyper car prices I must admit, but I'm surprised the difference is that much. Like for like on new, or used examples?

Also worth remembering that we earn twice as much over here as you do in the US, it's just that everything costs twice as much as well so it balances itself out. Well, it's not quite twice anymore due to the crappy exchange rate for us, but the difference is still there.

It'd be for used cars I see the price difference in. It's not always the case, but I do see many cars out there I'd rather import than buy over here just because it'd still be cheaper to import and change whatever needs to be changed to make the car legalized for US standards.

Then again.. I'm wanting to move over there, so I wouldn't need to import. :D

You mean the right side? :p

It seems more natural to me to be on the right side. I don't know why.. I've never driven a right hand car, but I feel like it'd be better I did.

A friend of mine has a 240sx that he converted himself to a right hand car.. and there are a few other people who have right hand cars around Springfield here.