Well the hard work begins now

Madden

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea will be keeping the car mate but i like the stock bumper with the Nismo splats plus i dont really want to go for a carbon boot lid if i dont have to. It would be getting colour coded anyway so not much point in having it carbon along with all the fitting issues:lol:

As said its my wifes car so the more stock the better for her :teeth:

Yea will be keeping the car mate but i like the stock bumper with the Nismo splats plus i dont really want to go for a carbon boot lid if i dont have to. It would be getting colour coded anyway so not much point in having it carbon along with all the fitting issues:lol:

As said its my wifes car so the more stock the better for her :teeth:

:lol: dont get nice wheels even then, parking woes :headhurt:

Well just payed for a load of parts so that it can go off to the bodyshop.

Payed for:

Whole Front end including all brackets and stuff

Front bumper in Azure Blue

Rear bumper in Azure blue

Standard air box

Rear light

Rear suspension arm

Front number plate backing plate

A big thanks to ZMANALEX for sourcing and supplying all these parts plus more to come :teeth:

So that little lot will be getting sent off along with the bonnet and maybe new boot lid to get all the body work sorted and all that will be left is the headlights, rads and a few plastic jobbies.

I have had a quote today from a top notch bodyshop out Guildford way and they have quoted £1600 all in at the most which in turth shocked the @*!# out of me as that wont include putting new chassis legs on just fixing the old ones. They also said i will need a new boot lid as it will be cheaper to paint a new one then fix the old one. Aslo i might have to take the engine out to get it jigged if the n/s chassis leg is bad.

Im trying out another bodyshop that comes higly recommend by a few mates. Waiting on a reply from them tomorrow. They are 60 miles away but i know they do great work even if it does cost a fair bit it will be done propley first time as i hate using bodyshops.

I 'm a picky bastard when collecting cars from them and always find mistakes in their work.

Lets hope i find a good one

Glad to see someone is hitting a rebuild again, Fair bit of work there Madden.

I would seriously concentrate on them side members (chassis legs) my rhs one was pushed back over an inch, and the car didn't have as harder hit as yours, you want that bit right, especially as the other half will be in the drivers seat :scare:

That alloy isn't fixable though mate, would just check that tyre is sitting fully on the inside of the rim if you aren't going to replace it. As the alloy is cast magnesium alloy, it may have cracked (hairline) which isn't worth playing about with, you cant weld it either because of the material and the fact it is cast. if its sitting right and you are going to keep it then i would suggest you have it crack detected though.

Regarding the parking sensors, these days my nissan dealer fits the ones which go behind the bumper. So I'd definitely look into this option via either the dealer or someone else who can fit them. Looks much better without the sensors stuck on the bumper!

Cheers for the info guys.

The rear tyre is still sitting pretty and hasn't gone done in pressure at all. :D I will get it checked then as i dont want the lady having a bloody blow out and smashing the car up after it has been fixed.:lol:

The chassis legs is the first part of call mate. I have spoke to a few body shops and they said that they car straighten the ones that are on the car instead if replacing them. I might have to remove the engine to make sure everything is alright but i dont mind doing that.:D

Mathys: Any idea on the make of sensors they fit now then? Any info as i agree i would look alot better.

:teeth:

Well been out there since 8am this morning and got in at 5.30pm . Freezing to @*!# again. :lol

I had a box turn up that was bigger then my Motorbike :lol with my front and back bumpers, air box, number plate bracket, suspension arm and rear light .:thumbs:

So i started to strip the 350 again so that i could get the rear bumper and light on. I had to measure out and drill 4 20mm holes in this bumper which scared that @*!# out of my as i hate drilling holes in cars. :cry:

All went sweet and done a better job then the previous guys. :yesnod: Managed to stick the bumper light back together to save some money .:hubba:

I then set about trying to get the nismo spalts off but what a nightmare. I had to slice them off with a sharpened kitchen knife to get through all the bond they used to stick them on. I was waiting for another acciendent to happen like sticking a knife through my face or arm. :) Turned out once off that they are genuine Nismo items:thumbs:

Spent the rest of the day polishing all the little scratchs out of the rear bumper and it cams up sweet but I'm really missing the nismo splats. It looks @*!# without it.:cry:

I had to take the hammer to the boot lid so that it would shut as new bumper is in the right shape :lol: Not to bad but getting a new one anyway

Few pics

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

New bonnet on but one of the bonnet hinges is bent so i have to get a new one. Martin you like :lol:

IMG_3239.jpg

Then came the front bumper . Its looks a state as it has that anti chip film all over it and it has started going white. Got the tcut out and it started to come out but its going to take ages to polish up to good. Does anyone know if that stuff can be removed to get it painted.

Just a tester patch

IMG_3243.jpg

Well the last few parts turned up today. So is now down to getting rid of the civic type r so that we can chuck it into a body shop to get the work done along with the last few parts to buy.

Got the whole front end. Brand new :teeth:

IMG_3248.jpg

And the cheaper way of sorting the head lights out. Brand new the xenons will set you back over £1000 and 2nd hand is about £400 for both. I got this for £50 so bargin saving here. Just have to rebuild the headlight into it and game on. Trying to source the n/s shell now.

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well all done and ready to go to the body shop. Its getting picked up at 10 am and then I'm following down with the parts and to have a chat with the guy.

I think the engine and box came out by 2.30pm so it only took around 2 hours to get it all out on my own. It was abit of a nightmare but well possible. I have spent the rest of the time cleaning up the oil that spilt out of the gearbox as i forgot to drain the oil out of it and when i yanked the engine out it dropped all its oil all over the shared parking bays :( :brickwall::lol

Then the mission of getting it into my garden over all the bumps :lol:

Well here it is on my new engine trolley that a robbed from Heathrow.:lol:

Tinaandellsbday041.jpg

Tinaandellsbday042.jpg

Just fitted through the door in the shed :lol:

Tinaandellsbday049.jpg

Empty engine bay

Tinaandellsbday043.jpg

I also put the front bumper on as it will be easier to transport it there. Its crazy what how a front bumper make a huge difference. :lol: All fixed

Tinaandellsbday050.jpg

Tinaandellsbday051.jpg

Just sorting out that drivers side headlight now so that it can go in the boot.

Any tips on how to do it PISULT???? :lol:

Well car is at the body shop now and we have had a good look over it and it does need alot of work from them.

The whole car bar the roof will be getting resprayed as the bumpers, wings, side skirts, and pasanger door need painting. So to get it to match they have to spray the whole car.

They are going to fix the boot lid which saves me alot of hassle and money.

They reckon it has at least a week of panel beating and jigging to get it ready for paint. The front wings need a bit of tweaking as they are slighlty out of shape. Then another week for paint and alignment.

So in 2 weeks i might be getting the car back absolutly mint but alot of money spent :(

The body shop bill has almost doubled from what was quoted due to the more work involved. :(