Timing Chain?

DiggZ

Update - following diagnostic check yesterday, does anyone have knowledge of any reported or common faults relating to cam sensors or timing chain issues on the Z?

Hoping this doesnt turn out to be an expensive Xmas

Cheers

Chris

Hi guys, been reading through some other posts and found a few similar threads but was wondering if anyone had advice on the following?

Now I now the Z is a bit temperamental in the cold weather but around 6 months back the engine warning light came on, this was diagnosed by the dealer as a cylinder misfire although the car seemed to be running fine. Changed the plugs anyway as the car was approaching 60k but since then the engine light has had a habit of appearing and disappearing at random intervals which I have just accepted as a glitch since no other problems have appeared.

Then this happened - driving home yesterday, felt a pull/loss of power from the throttle followed by the engine warning, traction control and abs lights coming on (and staying on all the way home). Wasnt gunning the car just driving steady on a straight single carriageway. Stopped at a petrol station to refuel and the Z struggled to start up, hmm.

Too dark to do anything last night so been out this morning and started up fine although warning lights were still on. So checked brake fluid (full) and pads (slightly worn but OK), tyres, battery connections and reset the ECU again.

Havent taken her off the drive yet but will do so this afternoon. Now Im into the festive season and all that but really hoping the dashboard doesnt light up like a xmas tree again.

Read a few other threads about possibilities of suspect battery, dodgy ABS sensor, cleaning throttle body etc. Car is an 04 plate so no warranty with the stealers left but Ill take her back in reluctantly if I have to.

Cheers guys

Get her to a dealers so they can get the diag tool on, and get the fault code thats being thrown up.

Although since you reset the ECU, the code will have cleared.

So dont reset it again if the faults come back.

Other than that, I have no idea....someone more technical will be along soon

Cheers, car is standard so no other obvious things jump out

Just been to a local garage for a diagnostic check, two faults showing:

1. Camshaft position sensors (2 errors)

2. ECU fault

Without ruling out the possibility of a faulty sensor the guy seems to think the problems may be caused by a stretched timing chain. He has had several Micras in with stretched chains causing similar issues.

I presume the Z has a similar chain and will check other posts but is there a history of issues with the timing chain on the Z?

Havent found any info on this happening with the Z either. Does seems a strange one but somethings obviously not right with it.

Need it sorting out though, hmmm do I book it in and order replacement cam sensors or is there anything else which should be tried/checked first?

These were the error messages which came up:

ECCS error memory - P0340 Camchaft position sensor (x2)

ABS error memory - C1130 CAN message, engine control unit faulty

Without ruling out the possibility of a faulty sensor the guy seems to think the problems may be caused by a stretched timing chain. He has had several Micras in with stretched chains causing similar issues.

I'd be very dubious about that comment - other than the shiny Nissan badge on the engine cover, there isn't a single shared part between the Z engine and the Micra...!

Sorry I can't help on the problem, but if I were you I'd definately rule out the ECU error and get the sensors checked first, then ideally lookup a garage local to you who've had experience of the vq35de engine - unfortunately Nissan dealers really won't know where to start, hence their guesswork above.

Steve

Had a think about this and you should really follow the procedure for checking out the CPS before condemning them. The procedures are fairly straighforward to determine if they are faulty.

The CPS works as follows:

The camshaft position sensor senses the retraction with intake valve camshaft to identify a particular cylinder. The camshaft position sensor senses the piston position.

When the crankshaft position sensor system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

The sensor consists of a permanent magnet and Hall IC.

When engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change.

The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change.

Due to the changing magnetic field, the voltage from the sensor changes.

Cheers,

Alex

I've never heard of this happening with the Zed.

quite common actually - the sensors seem to have a shelf life of 40-80k miles on many cars. I replaced mine earlier this year in fact. When the sensors stock working, the VTC also stops working too. So car will feel very very sluggish down low rpm's, but feel fairly normal in the upper end of the rpm range

thankfully they are not expensive ($75 each here in the US). As preventative maintenance you might also want to replace the crank sensor too (same price). All are quite easy to get to, and can be done yourself - I can walk you through it if you need

I've never heard of this happening with the Zed.

quite common actually - the sensors seem to have a shelf life of 40-80k miles on many cars

thankfully they are not expensive. As preventative maintenance you might also want to replace the crank sensor too. All are quite easy to get to, and can be done yourself - I can walk you through it if you need

Sorry Adam I should have been clearer. I was referring to the stretching of the timing chain.

Cheers guys, some good advice there. Ive not been near a Nissan dealer yet as frankly I dont trust them for anything other than basic servicing, and the car is out of warranty.

Does make sense to start with the cam sensors and go from there, sounds like this could be the cause as the car does feel a but sluggish low down and when idling.

If I was a bit more technically minded Id probably have a look at them myself but not sure where to start. Im planning on taking it to a local garage on Monday to decide the next step but would welcome recommendations for the north east area if anyone has any.

Chris