Car not starting - ECU gone?

seasider

Alex, apologies if I came across as not taking the advice on board. I definately did hence my confirmation with the garage on the unit being dead and the diagnostic procedure listed on an earlier page being followed. I am also in a poor mood at the moment because of the cost so that may have inadvertantly come across in my messages. I am very appreciative for the advice given on this thread. I was simply trying to explain that the unit had been confirmed as dead.

I have the same cynicism with the ECU being the cause of the problem as Nissan also told the garage that they have never had to replace an 350z ECU for a manufacturing fault. However the ECU is now dead so my worry is that the ECU has been damaged by a jump start. If this is the case it was either the recovery guy or me that did it. There were no sparks when jumping so i guess all that could have happened is a voltage/ampage overload from the other car when jumping. Therefore there will be another fault once we fix the ECU.

Thanks for all the advice and if it turns out I am the first person to have a genuinely failed ECU unit I will post on here to let people know.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same cynicism with the ECU being the cause of the problem as Nissan also told the garage that they have never had to replace an 350z ECU for a manufacturing fault. However the ECU is now dead so my worry is that the ECU has been damaged by a jump start. If this is the case it was either the recovery guy or me that did it. There were no sparks when jumping so i guess all that could have happened is a voltage/ampage overload from the other car when jumping. Therefore there will be another fault once we fix the ECU.

Thanks for all the advice and if it turns out I am the first person to have a genuinely failed ECU unit I will post on here to let people know.

I don't know is this might help you with your case but in the owner's manual (2006 version) at 6.7 to 6.9, it tells you about jump starting and there is certainly no suggestion you shouldn't do it or damage being caused to the car - just the usual cautionary procedures about the process. ;)

It is a very strange situation.

Zmanalex probably knows more about the 350Z than most in NMGB. I don't say that lightly either!

I am glad you trust your Nissan dealer so much as to entrust them with fitting a new ECU to a car that could still have a fault which could cost you the same amount of money again. I wouldn't trust any one party on a diagnosis of this scale especially with the information that no other failures have been reported. I would be taking it for a second if not third diagnoses even with the evidence that has been reported and witnessed.

Perhaps I am a fool for being the way I am though.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Btw, guys I have had the same problem which was documented on the **REMOVED** forum...

Pretty much the exact same thing happened as described here. It was over £1500 for a new on IIRC...

Just a note: If you buy a second hand ECU, it will PROBABLY not work because it is not suited to your particular Zed model. Mine is a 2002 JDM and I tried installing 2 of Alex's ECUs... Neither of them started the car. I later discovered that there are over 13 different types of ECUs for the Zed and if you do not get the correct one, then it WILL NOT work.. So if anyone has this problem again, tread with care! :thumbs: