Sleeper?

Digsy

OK, one of my possible scenarios is to run a sleeper for a little while.

The problem I have is that the Liverpool suburbs are not a great place to leave a fancy motor on the street. I used to keep the Zed in the yard but it took up about half of my outdoor space and when the dog came I had to have a rethink. Sticking it in a garage a few miles away was OK but I couldn't "pop out for a drive" when the mood took me like I could before and the Zed just sat there for weeks on end.

So, Im thinking what could I run and leave on the street which to the casual observer is nothing special (and therefore shouldn't attract scroats or nutjobs with baseball bats who knock down the front door in the night) but would still be a bit of fun to drive. A Q-car I suppose.

It would have to be under 10k secondhand or new so that I could lease it.

Any ideas?

id go for an old saphire cosy, vauxhall senetor or a carlton gsi. all are great fun and quick and to be fair at the money you can get these for who cares if they get a bit of a bump. we did the scumball rally in a cartlon gsi and it was quicker than most things

how's about dc2 or the last gen civic type r? both will be a hoot and don't really attract that much attention. clio 182? octavia vrs 2?

-ho

Don't like the DC2s or last gen Civics - but love DC5s and current gen Civics! Hey, that's just me. :teeth:

Thought about a 182 but would prefer a 197 (with Cup chassis in white). A mate has the Skoda and its great but Mrs Digsy won't get over the badge.

id go for an old saphire cosy, vauxhall senetor or a carlton gsi. all are great fun and quick and to be fair at the money you can get these for who cares if they get a bit of a bump. we did the scumball rally in a cartlon gsi and it was quicker than most things

Interesting ideas but not quite the image I'm after and a bit old.

Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, in black. They're about 6.5k now for a good example, and the black Recaro's are B)

This is a good call but the 4th gen Golf's don't really handle I believe and most seem to come with some of the worst wood inserts on the dash that I've seen for a while.

I fancy an R32 as they're going for a song now, are almost as fast as the Zed and have a classy, low key image without being a default Bee Emm/Audi/Merc. But may still be a bit ostentatious for our street and insurance is pretty heavy.

old school:

audi quattro

vw corrado

306 gti6 (excellent fun)

proper mini (tuned to the nines)not bmw mini

mr2 roadster (can fit hard top)

new school:

bmw 1 series 135 or the coupe version

bmw 3 series coupe

audi s3

golf r32 (debadge to remove the r32 bit)

new civic type R (very good security)

new corsa, astra vxr (get over the badge, its a real hooners car)

this is all i can think of for the mo

just to clarify whats a Q-car? :blush:

A car which doesn't give too many clues externally to the fact that its fast as f@ck. The old Senators which were mentioned above are a good example. Or a debadged BMW 540i. Or a Mazda 3 MPS.

Looked at another way, my missus would say an R32 was just another Golf but a Civic Type R is obviously a hot hatch even to her untrained eye.

then defo the audi s3 or golf r32

debadged rs4

or build one

when my dad was about my age, him and a mate built a sleeper, it was a mini estate, taty round the outside, but blacked out rear windows. this was because it was hiding a V12 in the back. the front engine had been removed and replaced with a concrete block to hold the nose down. and apparently even then if you floored it from the lights it would wheely.

not 100% sure on the engine details but it was bloody quick.

Sorry, got to disagree about the R32 - I think they look like propper hot hatches - all kitted up etc. And arent they still like £13k?? These 2 reasons are why i suggested the V6 4Motion.

Octavia VRS is a good shout, or an ST220.

How about the Mk1 Focus ST? They look standard dont they?

Sorry, got to disagree about the R32 - I think they look like propper hot hatches - all kitted up etc. And arent they still like £13k?? These 2 reasons are why i suggested the V6 4Motion.

I'm talking about a new Mk5 R32 which I can lease cheaply. The Mk4 was very obviously a hot hatch but the 5 just seems to have the chrome grille (like a Jetta) and the twin exhausts to make it stand out.

A secondhand ST170's probably worth a look.