Advice please. May have a problem

Pimm

I went down to Cornwall at the weekend. After a few miles on the motorway at around 80 mph the car produces a whinning sort of noise. This disappears at 90 almost but is i would say not loud but obvious that this does'nt sound wright. This only happens at 80mph regardless off what gear i am in and what the revs are at. The noise will go though when i push the accelerater but when i lift off again between 80 and 90 it starts whinning again.

Any clues :wacko:

The speed limit is 70mph....... How on earth did you find out it was whining above that! ;);)

Sorry, can't be of help but maybe more detail will spark an idea in someone that knows what they're on about!

Yeah, not many on here will be able to help due to the 70 mph limit :innocent: but hopefully someone will be along soon who has , er, found a quiet stretch of road and experienced your symptons to help ;)

Can you be more specific as to where you think it's coming from - front, back?

I would guess the noise is gearbox or clutch related ?? it's not a wheel bearing noise. It is coming from the frontish to middle area of the car but is louder when i hold the car at 80 but when i put my foot down the noise dissappears straight away.

:offtopic: To the above :) I understand the speed limit is 70 and that no one else goes above this. I bought a 350z so i could go over the national speed limit now and again.

BACK TO TOPIC.

If anyone else has had this problem, your advice would be appreciated :D:D

are you talking about a loud noise or jsut something fairly quiet. I get a noise at 85, fairly quiet but i hear the same thing in lower gears and speed same sort of revs, it just sounds like the run off when hardly touching the throttle, i've heard this on plenty of cars before i dont think its anything to worry about, but if you getting it at the same speed no matter what gear it might be something different

are you talking about a loud noise or jsut something fairly quiet. I get a noise at 85, fairly quiet but i hear the same thing in lower gears and speed same sort of revs, it just sounds like the run off when hardly touching the throttle, i've heard this on plenty of cars before i dont think its anything to worry about, but if you getting it at the same speed no matter what gear it might be something different

I see what you are saying but it only happens at the higher speed never below 80. Yes when i hardly touch the throttle at 80 it is at it's loudest and will quietly vanish when the speed increases. If i have the radio on half volume(bose) the noise is not heard anymore.

I wonder if i am being fussy or worrying over nothing. :wacko::D:D

Ditto, I have a similar noise at approx 85mph when cruising in light throttle load ( on my 200 mile long private roads).

transmission whine...during light load to keep the speed constant....if im not wrong i think you guys would experience the same in 4th, 5th, 6th between 70-85ish...only during constant light throttle.... its part of the dna of the Z..i think..i never bothered with it as it is a recurring phenomenon during specific control inputs, speed etc..