Advance driving tuition - anyone had any?????

adammitch69

afternoon people,

Had my 350z roadster for 2 months now .....and I love it. Coming from a Clio 182 I thought the 350z would handle like an oil tanker - but I am very much surprised!

Although I'd like to learn how to drive it 'properly' regarding oversteer, high speed cornering and just seeing what the car can do.

I have seen lots of advance driving courses on offer, some using just public roads (not sure how that works for testing oversteer!) and some track/airfields or a mix of both. Has anyone being on any course or can offer any information regarding getting the most out of my motor???

cheers all

Adam

ive been on a day long course. It makes a huge difference not just to the feel of the car and your limits on the car..but also your general driving habits..

I did it at CAT driver training at the milford testing grounds.. (the place that fifth gear shoots and does all their testing).

I would strongly recommend that you spend money on the best mod...driver training...either at a track or on the roads or anyother place...you will enjoy your car more and be a lot safer!

I did it at CAT driver training at the milford testing grounds.. (the place that fifth gear shoots and does all their testing).

I've heard these days are very good and you get a discount off certain forums if you are a member. Milford is very good as it has a whole host of places to test your car from skidpans to a mountain road. Looks very good :thumbs:

I've heard these days are very good and you get a discount off certain forums if you are a member. Milford is very good as it has a whole host of places to test your car from skidpans to a mountain road. Looks very good :thumbs:

the discount apart...its a good place to experience the car in different terrain and handling scenarios...doing 140mph at the top of the 2mile speed bowl with a dip and bump on the track is no laughing matter...its all about technique, information processing and giving the right inputs to the car controls...the instructor is brilliant and the result of the day will come to you after a week of putting all that into practice...

very highly recommended......the Z will amaze you even further and the smile will be better knowing you made the Z do what it just did!!!

Did the same CAT day as Bobby, but not at the same time...

Colin the instructor used to work for nissan test department and was involved with the Zed from the begining and played a part in the way the car is setup...

You are well looked after and learn decent techniques that show you about fast road driving in an environment that is close to what you drive on a daily basis. You can then take this knowledge to the track! Rather than someone showing just how to drive a specific track.

http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/ is the company and 01234 757633 is the number to book.

If you have been watching the recent series of 5th Gear, the guys at CAT have been involved in that in various capicities!

Buy or borrow a 70's VW Beetle - that will teach you all the advanced driving skills you need! :lol:

i.e

-safe overtaking with no power

-do not go on roundabouts in the wet with Crossply tyres on faster than 5mph

-wipers that are as fast as the beat of a Motown tune

-no heating or defrost facility for windows,

-no adequate heating,

-you cant see the corners of the car

-candles for headlights

...... master that lot and any modern car is a doddle ;) (I speak from experience!) :headhurt:

Buy or borrow a 70's VW Beetle - that will teach you all the advanced driving skills you need! :lol:

i.e

-no adequate heating,

-candles for headlights

...... master that lot and any modern car is a doddle ;) (I speak from experience!) :headhurt:

Got one you can lend us? :thumbs:

i.e

-no adequate heating,

-candles for headlights

Got one you can lend us? :thumbs:

brilliant!

I am very tempted to do something like this with my Z and Millbrook is only 20 mins from me but the only thing worrying me is what affect it may have on my Z. Am I going to end up with knackered tyres by the end of day and is it potentially going to damage anything else on the car? (call me paranoid!)

dont worry about it smartmove....nothing will go wrong with your car...imagine yourself able to drive as fast as you want in the motorways, hillside roads twisties etc....thats exactly what you would do there as well...except this time you will be trained to do it right..

tyre wear maybe few cms if you get trained on drifting etc....otherwise nothing to worry about except half a tank of fuel for the day!

tyre wear maybe few cms if you get trained on drifting etc....otherwise nothing to worry about except half a tank of fuel for the day!

I hope you mean mm :scare:

Remember the guy that runs it is meant to have help develop the Zed so he should know the limits of the car. Also hes done loads of people off the Zed forums and I've not heard of anyone breaking anything yet.

I am very tempted to do something like this with my Z and Millbrook is only 20 mins from me but the only thing worrying me is what affect it may have on my Z. Am I going to end up with knackered tyres by the end of day and is it potentially going to damage anything else on the car? (call me paranoid!)

If you book up as a group (2 or 3 people) then it becomes a bit cheaper, you still get 1-1 tuition and the chance for some banter and the Caterham challange at the end is good fun!!

Falkens held up well during the day, and the car also proved how stable and controled it is!. Colin is not there to break your beast, just show you what it can do... You will be suprised!

Yep the 4 of us did Advanced Road whick included all the circuits... Alpine being the best... I never thought the zed could make a perticular corner at 70 but it does!!

I hope you mean mm :scare:

Remember the guy that runs it is meant to have help develop the Zed so he should know the limits of the car. Also hes done loads of people off the Zed forums and I've not heard of anyone breaking anything yet.

Yep, never heard of anyone damaging anything either...

Colin did get in the Envy Z to give it go, shut the door blipped the throttle and did a full drift around a 200m 360 degree circle.... Total car control :thumbs:

I'll send them an email and see what prices are for a few of us - I'll try (and probably fail) to see if we can get any discount off :-)

unfortunatley I couldn't pre-practice my oversteer whilst doing 20mph on the M62 on the way home! damn traffic

Adam

:lol: Good Luck trying to get a discount :lol:

They got kicked off here for not offering the same discount to members here that they were offering to OC members :dry: *

*Alledgedly :lol:

I'll send them an email and see what prices are for a few of us - I'll try (and probably fail) to see if we can get any discount off :-)

unfortunatley I couldn't pre-practice my oversteer whilst doing 20mph on the M62 on the way home! damn traffic

Adam

They got kicked off here for not offering the same discount to members here that they were offering to OC members :dry: *

Trying to find the smiley with the zipper mouth !! :)

Adam

Trying to find the smiley with the zipper mouth !! :)

Ah so thats what happened! :surrender: