Petrol type

jhellen7

Hi,

I have bought myself a second hand 350Z (UK 04) and have read that it is important to fill it using high octane fuel. Is this true? What are the consequenced of ignoring this advice other than having a wallet with more in it!

As a new owner is there any other information that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help

J

I have found that with 99RON, I get more power and better MPG which cancels out the cost benefit of using 95RON.

I'm sure somewhere I read that you are not meant to put more than a tank or so of lower grade petrol in it as it has an adverse effect, but I cant for the life of me remember what it does :headhurt:

Hi bud and welcome to th forum. I live a fair distance from any garages that seel the super so use the cheap stuff when needed. If I am going on a run I fill with super. Try to avoid mixing them though as you will get 95 ron results from your expensive super unleaded already in the tank. :D

on one ocassion i put cheaper stuff in and it was fine. I did read somewhere that the imports need the higher octane stuff due to being tuned differently but I don't know if that's true or not? If I knew for defo I would be putting the cheapo stuff in!

Latest owners manual states ' Use unleaded premium petrol with an octane rating of 98 octane (RON)'. I think round here my only option is Shell as all the others seem to be 97 RON.

It then goes onto say that for Russia and Ukraine use 'petrol of at least 95 octane (RON)'.

Officially, you can go as low at 91 if needed - apparently some places in Europe have such things - but you should top up with higher octane when possible.

The benefits of using better fuel are not purely power from the higher Octane - fuels like VPower and Ultimate also have detergent additive packs to help keep your bits and bobs clean.

If you have a lower octane, it is more prone to preignition, particularly at high engine revs. A modern engine such as that in your zed will detect this and bugger about with the timing to compensate so as not to allow any damage. This will affect your performance, which is kinda the point of buying the car so from that point of view, better to use 98!

You also get extra points from Shell if you get upgraded to the VPower club!

No zed has ever blew up from using 95Ron fuel. I did 40k in my two zeds with no probs. As said before I even put it in the G :)

Your local chippies will be begging for mercy if you ever get to buy an Audi R8 V12 diesel then!

Guest prescience

If you have a lower octane, it is more prone to preignition, particularly at high engine revs. A modern engine such as that in your zed will detect this and bugger about with the timing to compensate so as not to allow any damage. This will affect your performance, which is kinda the point of buying the car so from that point of view, better to use 98!

You are referring actually to 'detonation' or 'knock' which most engines can deal with mild amounts of and yes modern cars have 'knock sensors' which reduce timing advance; pre-ignition is very different as it is combustion on the upstroke and this will destroy your piston in no time (minutes) :scare:

Of course, i would put the higher RON stuff in my cars if I saw the benefit. In the 90 litre G tank, at most stations the super stuff worked out to about £10 a tank extra. And considering a tank would last about 150 miles irrespective of the fuel, i decided to spend the £10 a week elsewhere! :D

Of course, i would put the higher RON stuff in my cars if I saw the benefit. In the 90 litre G tank, at most stations the super stuff worked out to about £10 a tank extra. And considering a tank would last about 150 miles irrespective of the fuel, i decided to spend the £10 a week elsewhere! :D

:scare: is there a hole in your tank? That’s mental!!! Wouldn’t have thought a man running a G would worry about £10, but I suppose every penny counts and that’s why you have one :D

Hi,

I have bought myself a second hand 350Z (UK 04) and have read that it is important to fill it using high octane fuel. Is this true? What are the consequenced of ignoring this advice other than having a wallet with more in it!

As a new owner is there any other information that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help

J

I ran a Prodrive Scooby for 3 years, on the fuel cap it said 98ron, but I read the engines ECU is intelligent enough to handle both (from various forums)..... I did see on a rolling road up to 20bhp difference with a higher Ron fuel and it was noticeable when driving too!

However the FTO did not like mixing tanks or changing fuel at all as the ECU from 1995 used to stall the car at low revs until it recalibrated itself (took about 20miles from my experience)

You are referring actually to 'detonation' or 'knock' which most engines can deal with mild amounts of and yes modern cars have 'knock sensors' which reduce timing advance; pre-ignition is very different as it is combustion on the upstroke and this will destroy your piston in no time (minutes) :scare:

Without getting too technical I thought that 'detonation', 'knock', 'pre-ignition', 'pinking' were just different names for the same thing. That being the pre-igition causing detontation of the fuel air mixture on the upstroke of the piston. Usually cause by excessive temperature in the cylinder as a result of a lean mixture.

This is only what I have picked up from other forums so I may be wrong, and would be interested to know what the difference between pre-ignition and det. is.

Wow, the guys car below doing up to 58mpg ;) Must be running on air haha

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/739165.htm

Price seems a bit ambitious too given what is going on in the market place at present. Having said and although I don't like the wheels, the stance looks superb and am now convinced that the Ings spoiler is the business - thanks Sarnie ;) .