What is 3G?

Zedrush

3G is broadband speeds over the airwaves (like a normal phone signal), and wireless is Wi-Fi that connects via a router to the interweb.

Wi-Fi will usually be quicker, but you need to be near a Hotspot to use it. In theory 3G is available in a far wider area, but most coverage is patchy at best.

3G is broadband speeds over the airwaves (like a normal phone signal), and wireless is Wi-Fi that connects via a router to the interweb.

Wi-Fi will usually be quicker, but you need to be near a Hotspot to use it. In theory 3G is available in a far wider area, but most coverage is patchy at best.

Okay still confused a litlle, so 3G covers a wider area, so I guess it detects hotspots from a further distance where wifi you have to be in the hot spot to access internet? But they both do the same thing?

Nope, both completely different.

Imagine the difference between a mobile signal and a home telephone line. The home line will be better quality and guaranteed to work but you need to be right by it to use it. The mobile should cover more area but quality is variable, and in some places it won't work at all.

They're different technologies and don't interchange with each other.

3G is like the bit in your phone for getting MMS messages and looking at the Web.

Its the mobile network rather than being a public or private network, like wireless.

A hotspot works as part of someones or a companys IT Network, so you have to be quite close to the router.

3G should work anywhere. You may have to put a simcard in.

If the Q1 with 3G dosnt have a wirless network card, I would go with the wirless and then get a 3G dongle from Orange or 3...

3G is the third generation of mobile phone standards and technology, superseding 2G, and preceding 4G. It is based on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) family of standards under the International Mobile Telecommunications programme, IMT-2000.

3G technologies enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony, video calls, and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Additional features also include HSPA data transmission capabilities able to deliver speeds up to 14.4Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8Mbit/s on the uplink.

Unlike IEEE 802.11 (common names Wi-Fi or WLAN) networks, 3G networks are wide area cellular telephone networks which evolved to incorporate high-speed internet access and video telephony. IEEE 802.11 networks are short range, high-bandwidth networks primarily developed for data.

Or something like that :lol:

3G is the third generation of mobile phone standards and technology, superseding 2G, and preceding 4G. It is based on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) family of standards under the International Mobile Telecommunications programme, IMT-2000.

3G technologies enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony, video calls, and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Additional features also include HSPA data transmission capabilities able to deliver speeds up to 14.4Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8Mbit/s on the uplink.

Unlike IEEE 802.11 (common names Wi-Fi or WLAN) networks, 3G networks are wide area cellular telephone networks which evolved to incorporate high-speed internet access and video telephony. IEEE 802.11 networks are short range, high-bandwidth networks primarily developed for data.

Or something like that :lol:

For a man that pilots a bloody great dingy you dont 1/2 know about your wireless networks Martin ;)

As the others have said -

3G is a mobile telecomms network, just a quick one, that you can get internet over with the right card - either plug in USB, PCMCIA, or in your case built into the device. You get connection via your mobile provider (Voda, O2, Orange) and coverage is widespread.

WiFi is a local network, owned by individuals or companies. Very small coverage of individual networks, but some companies (like Cloud) have multiple hot spots around the country that allow access to their network.

Both allow access to the net but at different speeds and coverage. You definately want WiFi on it, but 3G doesnt really matter as you can use a USB dongle to connect to the mobile network.

So if all I want from the q1 is to use microsoft word on the go and go on the web now and again by fining a hotspot then I dont need 3g. and if I want 3g I can always get an orange doobie (or what ever its called and go 3g) Wireless is better quality than 3g but 3g you can use anywhere like mobile phone..

Am I any closer?

So if all I want from the q1 is to use microsoft word on the go and go on the web now and again by fining a hotspot then I dont need 3g. and if I want 3g I can always get an orange doobie (or what ever its called and go 3g) Wireless is better quality than 3g but 3g you can use anywhere like mobile phone..

Am I any closer?

All good except, without subscription to something like Cloud ( http://www.thecloud.net/About-us/ ), you may struggle to find wireless (WiFi) networks which are accessible. Just get the Q1 (or similar) and a 3G card/dongle. Sorted :thumbs:

So I can always get an orange doobie

You get one of those from doing an "American Pie" with a Tart Orange !!

lol, with 3G you have to pay for a prescription but with wifi its free but does not mean the hot spot would allow you to access it unless you pay for a prescription with Cloud who have open access to networks around the country?

Any better?

Jay: It used to be the case that you could always find unsecured Wifi networks to use to get net access, but people have been seriously tightening down on them recently so there arent as many about as there used to be. Cloud is in a lot of places, pubs, train stations etc, but doesnt give you the coverage of a 3G connection.

I'd still say you want Wifi and 3G tbh if you want to be truely mobile and get the net anywhere.