350 Bites Back

adncd

:surrender: I have a renewed respect for my 350 as it bit back yesterday. pushing it a little too hard (i realise this now) round a 90 degree corner, very sharp, generally very slow corner the back end kicked out :drive1 , it came almost half way round generally this has never been a problem, but as i was correcting the slide, the front ran out of room and i was heading towards the kerb :scare: , i did not have the space to pull it back in line fully and clipped the kerb, which unfortunatly pulled the back end in quickly which then slapped the kerb as it straightened up :blush: .

luckily there was no one around to laugh at my stupidity and no one coming the other way to for me to hit.

i have kerbed the alloys which is no realy problem, they had been kerbed by the previous owners, but have torn part of the side wall on the rear, its not deep but i dont fancy putting to much strain on it in case it does give way so it looks like a new set of rear tyres, and the current ones probably have another 10k or so left on them, bummer. :cry:

theres no other evidence of damage, will have to get it checked out but everything looks straight and the car drvies fine luckily. :pinch:

In one sence im pretty glad it happend, it will stop me getting complacent, i was looking to go on an instructed driving course to find the limits and beyond, safley, this just makes me want to do it a bit sooner. and as it was a low speed i'll be a bit more careful when in a hurry. :blink:

I did not see a mishaps topic, maybe the forum could do with one, or am i the only idiot on here?

yeah will get it laser alligned, have seen a local garage that does it for £35 so not too bad, decided to get toyo's put on the back, and will run the bridgestones on the front down. best price i have seen so far for the toyo TR1's is £166 a corner, fitted at my location.

costly mistake but could have been a lot worse.

I can highly reccomend CAT driver training if your looking to find out what the car can do... Colin the instructor has been working with Zeds since prerelease and on the design stage with Nissan and knows the car inside out.

The days take place at Millbrook and you cover all the handling aspects on a number of different tracks including the highspeed bowl.

You may have an issue running different tyres with the traction control, it has been known. Toyos or Falkens are a good way to go, as is upgrading to coilovers... makes the car a totaly different beast :) Something to consider for the future!

Speak to Kev at Envy or Phil at East Shore as they can both supply tyres at a good price...

I can highly reccomend CAT driver training if your looking to find out what the car can do... Colin the instructor has been working with Zeds since prerelease and on the design stage with Nissan and knows the car inside out.

The days take place at Millbrook and you cover all the handling aspects on a number of different tracks including the highspeed bowl.

You may have an issue running different tyres with the traction control, it has been known. Toyos or Falkens are a good way to go, as is upgrading to coilovers... makes the car a totaly different beast :) Something to consider for the future!

Speak to Kev at Envy or Phil at East Shore as they can both supply tyres at a good price...

iirc phil advised me to go to camskill :thumbs:

Just as long your ok at the end of it :thumbs:

Mines been more twichy than a Second Hand Nissan car salesman yesterday in the rain - cant put any power down and not on a greasy roundabout!! :surrender:

Teaches you respect for the car I think! :scare:

two tyres ordered from Camskill, just need to find someone to fit them and work out how to put them in the back of the car to get them to the fitters, should be fun.

anyone got any ideas about fitting price?

£10-15 a corner?

Also if you think it was twitchy before, it'll be 10x worse now you're mixing tyres front and back... Time to drive like a granny until you wear the fronts down (or even better, put Toyos on all round).

Beware of cheap laser alignments from some garages.

On the Zed the adjusters affect pretty much everything Heel/Toe camber etc.

So 2 dimensional alignments can not be enough to ensure a true setting.

You are better off going for a 3D wheel alignment ask the boys down at TDI they have a Balco 3D system which will do a much better job

yeah will get it laser aligned, have seen a local garage that does it for £35 so not too bad, decided to get toyo's put on the back, and will run the bridgestones on the front down. best price i have seen so far for the toyo TR1's is £166 a corner, fitted at my location.

So up til your little kerb kissing, you were running Bridgestone on front and something different on the back??? If so this could partially be accounted for if you are running two different tread patterns, ie, different levels of traction and behaviour, sidewall strength etc. Can make quite a difference.

If at all possible keep the same on all four corners. Try to make sure when changing tyres that you keep to the size, so you're not affecting your rolling radius too dramatically as this will upset your VDC or TCS.

as is upgrading to coilovers... makes the car a totally different beast :)

Would agree there. :D

no i was previously running bridgestones all around. Im pretty sure the reason it kicked so much is i pushed the go faster pedal to far, and it was too tight a corner, and it was fairly damp.

I would change all four but as none of the tyre realy needed changing i cant realy justify changing them all. I am only changing the rear two, because i have put a slight tear in one of them, the damage is not to bad but given the car i would not feel confident that it would not go, the garage said it probably would not but i would rather be safe.

As soon as the fronts get down i'll be swapping these out for the Toyo's. As with other upgrades, those will have to wait a while.

I love the way people justify running on different tyres as an 'saving for an upgrade', bearing in mind they're the only thing keeping you on the road :lol:

Honestly mate, you've already had a lucky escape on the same compound of tyre, you're really pushing your luck mixing them. I'm not trying to be funny or anything, I'd just hate to see a fellow owner post up a week later saying you put your car into a ditch. Even a short-term credit card loan to buy the matching front tyres will get you the secure handling you deserve on the Zed :thumbs:

totaly accept what your saying, however as stated the reason i put it into the kerb was my over enthusiasm to push around a corner i should have know better on, i knew it would kick out, the only suprise was by how much.

I am able to drive without this kind of thing happening. i totaly admit fault and do not blame a lack of grip or balance issue etc.

If im wrong, im wrong, but i think i will be fine. Considering i have not had the car long, i dont expect to notice a massive difference in handling as i am still getting used to the car as a whole.

As i say, appreciate the comments and accept its not the best way thing to do with tyres, but also have to be realistic, with regards to wasting 4 decent tyres instead of 2. Luckily it summer and the roads should be fairly dry. I expect to have changed the fronts by the time we get to the bad weather later in the year.

You could flog the other two either on here or on eBay, get some money back that way? By your own admission you're not used to the car yet, which is totally understandable (hell, I'm only 6mths into ownership myself and I'm still getting used to it), I just worry you're tempting fate for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

Summer's just as bad for accidents as winter really as you get the sudden downpours that bring all the oil to the top of the road surface again, making things especially treacherous.

I run different tyres, front and rear and i've had absolutely no issues, i wonder if these people offering advise on this have any actual experience of it :lol:

falkens on the front and p-zeroes on the rear :thumbs:

i did have a big moment with the rear on a rounabout when i was running p-zeroes all round..... so go figure ! too heavy on the loud pedal was the cause :blush:

people love to paint it black :thumbs:

I have ran cars with mismatched front to back tyres and i have experienced a few problems, on the whole its no big deal but when the crap hits the fan or you are pushing things that is when the issues arrise. In my experience it is a feel thing and also the car does not handle in such a predictable way, all tyres behave slightly differently and with different tread patterns, grip levels, sidewall stiffness etc so mix them up and you wont get consistant handling.

Its that on the edge stuff that shows them up.

Just my 2p's worth..

Cars ran like this....

3dr Cos 565@wheels

Evo8

lotus elise