Hazard warning ligths won't work??!!

playtrix

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, or can offer me advice on why my harzard warning lights don't work.

Worked fine a few months ago.

I have a UK model 04 plate 350z GT with 30k miles.

The fuses have been checked in the drivers foot well by a mechanic and the hazard warning switch (near the heated seats button) was repalced by Nissan in Oldham as they thought that could be the problem.

My car is still with Nissan awaitng 'further testing' to locate the problem.

Only problem is - it failed the MOT due to hazards not working!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Initially i thought switch, but that as been ruled out see as i assume the inicators are working?. Think its at the best place at the moment if its at the dealers.

:welcome: to the forum by the way.

You have to wonder if it's the wiring really between the hazard switch and whatever it's wired to (relay or something???). If the indicators work then you know that part of the circuit is good.

I guess you could test the hazard part of the circuit for continuity to prove it.....

If the circuit for the hazard switch is the same as the US 350Z then if you look in the US 350z manuals ( http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Service:Index ) the "Hazard Warning Lamps Do Not Operate But Turn Signal Lamps Operate" fault finding is on page LT-155 for the 04.

From a quick look through there is no relay, it's all handled by the BCM module.

Checks it says to make are:

Check that bulb standard of each turn signal lamp is correct.

Check voltage between hazard switch harness connector terminal and ground.

Check continuity between BCM harness connector terminal 61 (G/R) and hazard switch connector terminal 2 (PU).

Check continuity between hazard switch harness connector terminal 1 ( B ) and ground.

Check continuity between hazard switch connectors.

The above checks look easy to do with a multimeter and there's diagrams of how to do each one and what the results should be if the circuits are the same for US/UK.

The checks looks the same for all of the US 350Z's the only thing that changes is the output pin from the BCM to the hazard relay switch.

03/04 pin 61, 05/06/07 pin 29.

And yes I am bored ;)

And :welcome: to the forum :)

I got a call from Nissan West Way (Oldham), they said they have located the fault causing my hazards not to operate, that there is no power supplying them from the BCM module. They said it'll cost £640 for parts and labour to get it fixed!!!!

I think i'll try to get one from a scrap yard/ebay and see how that goes.

I got a call from Nissan West Way (Oldham), they said they have located the fault causing my hazards not to operate, that there is no power supplying them from the BCM module. They said it'll cost £640 for parts and labour to get it fixed!!!!

I think i'll try to get one from a scrap yard/ebay and see how that goes.

+1 :scare: Establish what parts they say are required and get a second opinion from one of the parts suppliers on this forum/ESR. Having already replaced the switch if it is the BCM module that is one very expensive unit.

I called up Nissan HQ and complained about the BCM going faulty on a car which has only done 30K, they called up the garage and after further discussion, they have decided to carry out some more tests to make sure it definatley is the BCM??!!?

They did say they might consider paying towards the cost/good will gesture depending on the fault.

Wait and see what they say. :scare:

Ps. good idea about wirning up the hazards to a relay and running it off a seperate circuit. :thumbs:

BCM is fooking expensive guys. Mine went under (extended) warranty and the claim assor said for a little box of tricks it was well over £500 quid. Plus £100 for my dome light, I would have been looking at about £750 all in to have had it fixed on my own.

See if a scrappy has any BCMs as I'm sure you can wire it in. They told me first that the BCM wasnt getting power, but it was it was the BCM that was shot. If you could get one and plug it all in yourself it might just work :)