Salieri intro

First post here is to say that I'm currently importing a MY07 ST Coupe through Bonsai at the moment, been a month since payment cleared (annoyingly just before the GBP strengthened against the JPY, at least if it stays this way I'll pay less on the import duty) and the car still hasnt left Japan.

Since I parted with my money the communication has been poor to say the least, I have all the photos etc. etc. but having been promised an 'update' a couple of weeks ago (as well as further shots of the aftermarket exhaust that the car has fitted), the only response to my further enquiries has been, "I haven't heard anything yet, I'll let you know as soon as I do."

Now I dont know if this timescale is normal, and any 'guidelines' they have on their site are just pie in the sky, but I am very definitely starting to regret going through Bonsai and not another importer. And after following glastoveteran's plight (as a lurker) I'm even more worried... in 7 months I could probably buy a UK MY07 GT for what I paid for my JDM, given the downturn in residuals!

in 7 months I could probably buy a UK MY07 GT for what I paid for my JDM!

That's exactly how I feel! I have well and truly learnt a lesson from this and I really hope you don't have to go through the same stress that I have!

I would try to put your mind at rest now and find out whether a model report exists for your variant. I'm not sure whether it's a comprehensive list or not but have a look on modelreports.com. I have just done so and they have listed a "Nissan 350Z (2006 >) Auto CBA-Z33". Not sure whether yours is an auto and whether the 2006 > covers 2007... I would ring Steve and ask him - I'm sure he'll check for you.

If there is a model report then you won't be waiting 7 months. A report didn't exist for mine and that's what the delay has been, worsened by the fact that the lab that produces the reports in Southampton was in the process of being moved so instead my car was sent to MIRA in Nuneaton. It seems they couldn't be bothered to do anything with it so it sat there without anything happening for four months, and they still haven't finished.

I really wish you the best of luck - and feel free to PM if you have any Qs. :)

I had a look about on various model report sites and saw exactly what you say, and unfortunately mine is a manual.

I was assured by Chris (? not sure if that is right, for some reason I just couldn't ever remember his name) the salesman that they had reports for all MY07 variants, and infact were in the process of just getting the last one, the MY07 Roadster, finished off... I'm assuming that was most likely your car, although this was over a month ago when I was bidding on a white ST a few weeks before winning my black.

Perhaps I should have listened far less to the sales patter and trusted my own judgement more. I think my final all in agreed price (although it remains to be seen if that really is the final cost) was a couple of hundred under what you agreed iirc.

Haha, shame my first post now has to be something negative for the world to see, this post was supposed to be buried in a small thread in the JDM section! Would have liked to have been something more positive like some nice pics or something. Thanks for the welcome though!

Additional things with Bonsai bother me, like no real transparency of what the final bid was, you just have to trust their invoicing.

Looking up the result of the auction on amayama.com gives you an idea of what they think the final FOB price of the car should be in Japan, in dollars admittedly... but even given differences in exchange rates it looks like they may have tacked on a couple of hundred quid extra at that point too, if not considerably more.

Regardless, I caught the Z bug when test driving a Night Blue MY07 back in March of this year, after drooling over the thought of getting one for a good 6 months or so previous to that. Shame Night Blue 07s are rarer than the Dodo it seems in Japan as that would have been my first choice, Glasto looks to have got the only one and his is a roadster.