Importing a Z

<Luize>

hi there im new as you might guess.

looking at the 350Z, got about 10-11K to play with. loving gunmetal colour but any really other than orange.

anyways looking at importing via Bonsai cars. has anyone had any experience with them? it says to allow for 35% ontop of auction price for the importing fees etc, is this about right?

any help would be great. had a test drive and love it, im used to 300bhp turbo cars so a V6 was a bit different but in a good way, the power was there all the time and not having to drop gear to go is awsome.

:thumbs:

Hi there welcome aboard! Where abouts u from! I have been given into trouble for my comment about bonsai cars before so i will have to keep shut! But if you wanna pm me i will chat to you privatley about them

Jay :teeth:

:welcome:

Is there a problem with stating your personal experiences? I'm against speculation and hear say when it could damage an innocent party but if a write up based on fact and personal experience is posted then what are the problems with that? :blush:

Some not so good experiences of Bonsai cars around (although they are not the worst importer). Jap import cars miss out on many of the options on UK cars, e.g. security. Plus suspension of UK cars has been tuned for UK roads and ECU tuned for UK fuel.

Look up all of the differences between Jap and Uk before making a descison.

I have been given into trouble for my comment about bonsai cars before so i will have to keep shut!

I'm intrigued too about why the trouble?!

I am in the middle of a horrendous import process with Bonsai at the moment - it really couldn't have been worse - but at the same time I accept that it's not their fault entirely. But still 7 months on and my car is a long way off being ready. :scare::angry:

Just whatever you do make sure there is a model report available.

Oh and I got badly stung but the currency rate shifting dramatically between the time I won an auction and the time I made the payment, so I ended up paying a lot more than I actually bid for.

Again PM if you want any advice!

Hey guys am off 2 inverness with the mrs this weekend but i will post my experiences when am back! Rushing off now for a 4 hour drive in the zed woohhooo. I iwl try get some nice piccies! L8r all :teeth:

hi all. cheers for all the replied, jesus i couldnt wait 7 months for my car! i would go and get it! lol (i wish)

check up model report... gotcha! will do.

ive gotta search for the differences in models yet and differences between import and UK.

i have an import MR2 which is a better spec than the uk and is set up for 100ron fuel originally until i put in a link g3 ecu, it really hates normal unleaded before that though so would be nice not to have to find a shel garage for v power each time hehe

It took 6 months for my car to get UK plates due to lack of model report. So good advise above, make sure your import car has a model report.

Was that 6 months from when it arrived in the UK? And was that through Bonsai? When I spoke to Gary there having a whinge about how lomng mine was taking he mentioned somebody who had recently put a Type-G through.

It took 6 months for my car to get UK plates due to lack of model report. So good advise above, make sure your import car has a model report.

Was that 6 months from when it arrived in the UK? And was that through Bonsai? When I spoke to Gary there having a whinge about how lomng mine was taking he mentioned somebody who had recently put a Type-G through.

Yes I used bonsai, and yes mine was the type-G. It took about 4 1/2 weeks to get here on the boat, then sat at southampton for 5 months getting damaged by various SVA centres, the car was passed from pillar to post having various tests done on it!

Not Bonsais fault. The delays were all causd by red tape and vosa. If you need any help let me know, I can give you the contacts at the SVA centre, vosa and Nissan JP that I had to deal with.

If your car has arrived in the UK. I would seriously consider having it trailored home....then when the tests are required, trailor it to the relevant test centre. I only say this as my car was damaged whilst it was just sat there.

It will only get damaged at the SVA centre! If you want more info, drop me a PM I'll be happy to help / answer questions in more detail.

On the whole tho, bonsai didn't help the end to end process as there was nothing really they could do (red tape) and they did finance some of the many additional test the car needed to pass which ran into a few k.

Yes I used bonsai, and yes mine was the type-G. It took about 4 1/2 weeks to get here on the boat, then sat at southampton for 5 months getting damaged by various SVA centres, the car was passed from pillar to post having various tests done on it!

Not Bonsais fault. The delays were all causd by red tape and vosa. If you need any help let me know, I can give you the contacts at the SVA centre, vosa and Nissan JP that I had to deal with.

If your car has arrived in the UK. I would seriously consider having it trailored home....then when the tests are required, trailor it to the relevant test centre. I only say this as my car was damaged whilst it was just sat there.

It will only get damaged at the SVA centre! If you want more info, drop me a PM I'll be happy to help / answer questions in more detail.

On the whole tho, bonsai didn't help the end to end process as there was nothing really they could do (red tape) and they did finance some of the many additional test the car needed to pass which ran into a few k.

why not post any helpful info/contacts up then it's on here for anyone who needs the help to read :)

Sure no problems, here is my list of contact info:-

SVA

------------------------------------

Heath - Auto Terminal - 023 8066 7619

Clive Lowe - SVA UK Boss - 023 8063 5236

Car prep

-------------------------------------

Ned @ Per4mance Imports - 023 8064 3223

Bonsai Cars - 0870 020 3600 / 0870 020 3598

VOSA Technical

-------------------------------------

Mark Vickers VOSA - 01792 454256