My new dog...

Digsy

What do you think they make Bury Black Pudding from!!! :headhurt:

Just joking any BBP makers - dont sue me !! :surrender:

Sorry off topic!

I am the most cleanest obsessive hand washer in the world - thats why my hands are rough as builders hands not swelt IT keyboard punchers hands (well ok so I am a DIY king and cement is literally in my blood - but we will skip over that bit!! ) :lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing he is terrible with is recall. 90% of the time his own name doesn't seem to even register with him. Any tips?

Get a long lead and a bag of treats. Make him sit and stay then walk way, turn and after a wait call him to you. If he comes reward him immediately with a treat. Don't shout if he doesn't - that only gets them excited. After he comes to you from close distances, gradually increase the distance until you can trust him to come from anywhere.

Agree with Jim. You need to get him listning to you tight on the lead first and then the recall will follow. He needs to know your the boss. Shouting never works and neither does too many words. And shouthing should only be used at the last resort only if hes close. Remember, dogs hear 7 times louder than us...

I take it he is pulling on the lead when he sees other dogs too?

Advise is to get him on a very short lead, holding his head up as your going past other dogs, if he looks at them or tries to pull, then keep his head high so he cant pull and perhaps a little tap on his nose on the side he is trying to pull too, so he looks back at you and the command "leave". Once he starts walking and looking at you every so often then your getting somewhere.

The move onto the sit, stay, come using food.

Hope you enjoy many years of happy dog ownership, and well done on getting a rescue, not enough people do unfortunatly. 2nd dogs can be hard work to start with as you dont know the history, but some hard work now will pay dividends in the future and he will love you for it :)

Woof, woof, woooof, bark to the new boy!

Cheers guys. :thumbs:

Any thoughts on indestructible toys. He has destroyed everything except two rubber balls so far. My brother's dog used to be like that but loved chewing bones. This little chap won't even look at a bone!

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html does some pretty indestructible toys (my shar pai hasnt managed to destroy one yet!...)

Also, something else that has worked my my mutt is "Pet Corrector" its air in a can but forced out at high pressure, dont spray it directly at them but just close to turn their attention. Only use it when they have done something really wrong. I have used it for a bit now and you just need to show him the can and he cowers away...

Well done in getting a rescue dog.

One thing I've noticed with names is that sometimes Rescue places change names of animals so they aren't used to their own name, worth just checking in your paper work or asking the centre concerned.

Have fun together !

Nice one Digsy, :clap: did you get it from the Liverpool Dog Trust. Been there a few times looking for a dog but nothing yet as we seem just to miss the one we want by a day everytime.

Rescued one from the RSPCA which we named Poppy but unfortunately she had to go back as she had severe behavioural problems and separation anxiety. We would of need to take at least 6 months of work to get here sorted out. Thankfully she is now with a behaviourist under assessment but we still cam out of it £90 lighter.

Image007.jpg

Well they say your dog looks like it's owner, I don't quite see the balding patch on the back of Scrappy's head :teeth:

kong toys are very good and you can put treats inside them. Try carrots or slices of apple. Far better than over salted dog sweets

Stick to the kongs or the indestructible rubber balls. You don't need a lot of toys - only one at a time and always at your choosing - don't leave them lying around for the dog to choose.

For great exercise, I would recommend a frisbee. Pet stores sell a few types, but the one we use is an open circle rather than a flat disc.

I can see this thread running and running and jumping and rolling over for weeks - Disgsy you need to rename it to Zed owners dog lookalikes! :lol:

No pictures of Zed heads licking their privates though please!!! :surrender:

Ok then here is my (ex's) Nettie (rescue dog too) fab dog very good natured we recon she lived on the streets of Liverpool by herself for the first 6 months or so of her life :scare:

kypktzjl1T.jpg

how sweet is this - all you tough men with your naked women signatures and avatars* posting pictures of your doggies and kitties......guys I am nearly in tears here - get me a tissue......... :lol:

*actually just stew so far on this occasion..........

how sweet is this - all you tough men with your naked women signatures and avatars* posting pictures of your doggies and kitties......guys I am nearly in tears here - get me a tissue......... :lol:

SNAG - Sensitive New Animal Guys. :p:p:lol::lol:

stop complaining we are in touch with our animal rescue side - that sounds really bad does'nt it! :headhurt:

Its because animals like you no matter what you have done or mood your in......... I am not finishing this sentence for obvious safety reasons ! :scare:

Hey cats are welcome to this thread also - especially if they are Rescue cats -

ok even further off topic (sorry Digsy)

I have 2 adopted swans in front of my house on the river - called Bob and Marge - they dont know I have adopted them but they come back every year, I feed and keep an eye on them - sad are'nt I!

Oh yes the love cakes also! :lol:

kDPXFAgEHx.jpg

There goes my macho Roadster image .......... :blush:

I hope my kittie is welcome! I didn't think I could have a dog due to my job. I'd love one though!

Oh yeah Nixy, grrrr, I'm tough. Only drink lager, fight guys twice my size and never wear pink.......

Like the swans Stan! Although one tried to attack me once in the lakes on a mini boat when I was about 6.