Reverse engineering sat nav - need UK disks!

MrDohnuts

Hi Guys

I've started reverse engineering the Jap Birdview satnav DVD and I'm having some success, I can edit the files on the dual layer DVD, re-write them and have it boot in my system without incident (which means the security is wide open).

I can now go down 3 routes:

1. My preferred route is to hack the satnav update CD to turn the Jap savnav into a UK spec - I think this is quite doable as it's just a case of bypassing the region encoding routine to allow us to update the internal flash / PROM used to run the system.

2. If I can get hold of a UK DVD-ROM drive and a Jap drive I can decode the PROM's so we can turn the Jap drives into a UK version. This will be more difficult and time consuming but I'm certainly up for the challenge. Changing the region encoding of DVD drives is well documented on the net so this my be a good attack vector.

3. I can try splicing the UK map data into the Jap DVD layout. This will give us UK maps and routing but won't get rid of the Jap fonts - this isn't a very desirable solution from my point of view - although it's probably quite easy. At least we'll have a map of GB on out screens even if the routing is in the wrong language.

What I need to begin work is the following:

1. UK CD-R satnav update disk (any 2000 - 2005 version)

2. Jap satnav update disk (any 2000 - 2005 version)

3. UK Birdview DVD-ROM. Doesn't matter if it's old (it's testing purposes)

If anyone has any of the above and you're willing to copy / lend me the disks I'd be glad to hear from you.

There is no certainty that any of the above will work, but I'm an experienced software developed with access to great lab facilities and I just love breaking stuff like this ;)

My understanding of the problem was that the issue is not the software but the hardware. People have cracked the disks before but its actually the configuration of the hardware that renders it useless. :blush:

The zed is 6 years old now and up to now I've only heard of the screen been salvageable from JDM sat nav systems.

Good luck though :thumbs:

have a word with Markyp, He may have a spare uk sat nav disk

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14140

If you manage to get this working you will be the first and almost guarantee plenty of other members will be wanting you to convert there systems. Might be good for some sweetie money

If I get it working I'll be releasing it as open source freeware to anyone who wants it. Good Karma is all I'm after :-)

My understanding of the problem was that the issue is not the software but the hardware. People have cracked the disks before but its actually the configuration of the hardware that renders it useless. :blush:

The zed is 6 years old now and up to now I've only heard of the screen been salvageable from JDM sat nav systems.

Good luck though :thumbs:

Well the hardware looks to be universal, it's the EEPROM inside the nav system which determines it region and software configuration. This is normal as it's much less expensive to make a universal device then regionise it.

The real question is how hard will be to reprogram or replace that EEPROM. This is by and large how we hack Xbox 360, by changing the DVD drive EEPROM to detect copied disks as legit - I digress. We won't know till I start hacking away at it.

In a best case scenario the the Jap update disk can be rebuilt with the UK firmware files and then the device upgraded ...we'll see ;)

Hi Guys

I've started reverse engineering the Jap Birdview satnav DVD and I'm having some success, I can edit the files on the dual layer DVD, re-write them and have it boot in my system without incident (which means the security is wide open).

I can now go down 3 routes:

1. My preferred route is to hack the satnav update CD to turn the Jap savnav into a UK spec - I think this is quite doable as it's just a case of bypassing the region encoding routine to allow us to update the internal flash / PROM used to run the system.

2. If I can get hold of a UK DVD-ROM drive and a Jap drive I can decode the PROM's so we can turn the Jap drives into a UK version. This will be more difficult and time consuming but I'm certainly up for the challenge. Changing the region encoding of DVD drives is well documented on the net so this my be a good attack vector.

3. I can try splicing the UK map data into the Jap DVD layout. This will give us UK maps and routing but won't get rid of the Jap fonts - this isn't a very desirable solution from my point of view - although it's probably quite easy. At least we'll have a map of GB on out screens even if the routing is in the wrong language.

What I need to begin work is the following:

1. UK CD-R satnav update disk (any 2000 - 2005 version)

2. Jap satnav update disk (any 2000 - 2005 version)

3. UK Birdview DVD-ROM. Doesn't matter if it's old (it's testing purposes)

If anyone has any of the above and you're willing to copy / lend me the disks I'd be glad to hear from you.

There is no certainty that any of the above will work, but I'm an experienced software developed with access to great lab facilities and I just love breaking stuff like this ;)

If you can get the JDM to work in english (or even just to get it to load GB maps) then you will be known worldwide as "Fairlady Z God" *end of ass-kiss* But seriously.. the satnav is the ONLY thing I hate about my JDM, you should set up a donation paypal account and if not for yourself, give it to the owners of this site - i'm sure people will be pretty willing to give! Good luck!! If you need any bug testers im in! :thumbs:

Nothing to report I'm afraid - nobody has any of the disks I need to reverse engineer the software :-(

I even asked my Nissan stealer while my car was in for a window repair but they wouldn't let me 'test' them in my laptop until I paid the £400 for the disks.

So ....on to stage 2. I'm now on the lookout for a UK satnav so that I can remove the EEPROM chip, decode it then re-program the Japnav to think it's a UK model.

Does anyone have a broken UK satnav I can buy or borrow - I only need it long enough to desolder the appropriate chip(s) and image them. Nothing on Ebay right now but I'm keeping a look out.

Wold disk images work?

Surely people wouldnt mind sharing them?!

Would torrents work?

Have PM'd you one to look at that may be of some help!

The relevant files are not availible on Torrents, I actaully downloaded them anyway but no joy.

Disk images would be fine, the update disks are plain old ISO CD roms so can be copied using Imageburn (freeware), then sent to me in a jiffy bag or uploaded to my FTP server - PM me for details.

The map DVD is dual layer and around 8GB in size. This can also be copied using image burn and a blank dual-layer disk (about £1.20).

Update -

I'll be mailing copies of the DVD and update disc from an X-trail unit on Monday. If anyone has the absolute latest official 350Z unit discs - they would be a better bet for Mr Dohnuts, but at least we've got himworking on something! :D

Alli

Edited to say - The local super only had single DVD rws so slight delay whilst I source the correct media...

• 3 weeks later...