Reverse engineering sat nav - need UK disks!

MrDohnuts

Got the disks from Drude today!

Unfortunately I got tired of not having sat nav so started ripping my car apart to fit a custom made car PC I'm building.

I have the Nissan unit and required parts in the lab so I'll set it up and start testing as soon as I've analysed the CD's. Which is in about 5 minutes :-)

OK I've just looked through the two EU update disks that I have received from Drude. They are surprisingly readable in a hex editor with no encryption what so ever.

Now I need a copy of a Jap update disk. I plan to use the boot strap code on the Jap disk to make a hybrid CD that will force a firmware update from the EU disk data.

The simple disk layout and lack of encryption makes me think this is quite feasible now, but I can't go further without the Jap disk so if anyone has one please make a copy and send it along, or make an ISO (not too big) and we can exchange it online.

Thanks,

Dan

As a side project if anyone has a broken UK spec DVD unit I would be interested in buying it.

I can use this to explore the option of imaging the UK spec firmware chip directly and writing this to the Jap firmware chip. This method bypasses the need for CD's entirely.

OK I've just looked through the two EU update disks that I have received from Drude. They are surprisingly readable in a hex editor with no encryption what so ever.

Now I need a copy of a Jap update disk. I plan to use the boot strap code on the Jap disk to make a hybrid CD that will force a firmware update from the EU disk data.

The simple disk layout and lack of encryption makes me think this is quite feasible now, but I can't go further without the Jap disk so if anyone has one please make a copy and send it along, or make an ISO (not too big) and we can exchange it online.

Thanks,

Dan

:wacko:

Thanks,

Dan

:wacko:

Means he turns a Jap one into a UK one mate ;):lol:

MrDohnuts: good work chap! Sounds like this could be a lot easier than Nissan normally make things!

Would you be the man to ask where to get an updated working Alpine sat nav disc from?

Afraid not, I don't have any disks at all. I'm just a poor IT security professional / software engineer.

Average rate for IT security contracts in the UK is at least £400 a day. . . . come on now . . :teeth:

Do you still need a JDM disk?

Would you be the man to ask where to get an updated working Alpine sat nav disc from?

Afraid not, I don't have any disks at all. I'm just a poor IT security professional / software engineer.

Average rate for IT security contracts in the UK is at least £400 a day. . . . come on now . . :teeth:

Not everyone has the chance to contract and salaries in IT arent as rosy as they used to be if you arent contracting :headhurt:

I had a feeling I was below average and this just confirms it :-)

Yeah still need that JDM disk if anyone has one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Dohnuts - Are you up against a brick wall at the moment without the jap disc? I guess the Jap dvd-rom is no use...?

Yes that's where I'm at. The Jap update disk has the boot code I need to create the hybrid upgrade disk that will make your sat nav UK spec.

In other news I converted a TomTom 520 to a 530 the other day using some hacked update code and I'm thinking this is the replacement unit of choice for the 350Z. It has @*!# hot satnav (with lane guidance etc), mp3 playback, line out, phone integration etc etc. And I think it can be made to fit nicely in the gap where the 350Z sat nav screen lives.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...