Warranty on 1st to 2nd Gear

wedmonds

Hi People,

Similar to another post.

When I change up from 1st to 2nd I get a clunk which basically sounds like that its a struggle to get into 2nd. It goes in but not quietly.

The car is in warranty (until end of month) and so far the local dealer has just honored changing the alloys since I clocked you all talking about this being a warranty issue.

If the above gear problem sounds like its a warranty issue, can someone provide me with more information. I need to visit them this weekend or next to catch it while its in warranty so any information you can provide would be greatly received urgently!!!

Thanks people

Wayne

Thanks for coming back Martinmac.

Did look on there but cannot find much specific info.

Does it sound like the sort of thing that is a warranty issue to members and what should I approach the dealer and say?

Last time I bowled in there and fired of a host of information (gained from on here) which they accepted and agreed to fix (on the alloys).

I just wanted to be equally equipped.

• 4 months later...

When I change up from 1st to 2nd I get a clunk which basically sounds like that its a struggle to get into 2nd. It goes in but not quietly.

The car is in warranty (until end of month) and so far the local dealer has just honored changing the alloys since I clocked you all talking about this being a warranty issue.

If the above gear problem sounds like its a warranty issue, can someone provide me with more information. I need to visit them this weekend or next to catch it while its in warranty so any information you can provide would be greatly received urgently!!!

Thanks people

Wayne

Me to, exactly the same. 2007 model, 9,500 miles. Syncro problems - gearbox change I believe. Deffinately a warranty issue, ive reported twice now, they will sort it, I aint paying a penny!

the synchros in our boxes are typically crap....they are particularly difficult when cold....but if they are smooth when you warm it up..then i would say its a normal character of our boxes...if however you do have the same problem when warm...it should be done under warranty.

Bobby

Most appear to do this when they're cold but are ok once warmed up. If this is the case with yours, try pausing momentarily as you pass through neutral and it should be fine. If it does it when warm, then that could indicate a problem.

As trev says really. I always suggest slowing the change down.

My car doesn't do it at all. However my previous car suffered from a notchy change from 1st to 2nd. If you take an extra second to do the change it normally sorts it out! :thumbs:

Most appear to do this when they're cold but are ok once warmed up. If this is the case with yours, try pausing momentarily as you pass through neutral and it should be fine. If it does it when warm, then that could indicate a problem.

As trev says really. I always suggest slowing the change down.

My car doesn't do it at all. However my previous car suffered from a notchy change from 1st to 2nd. If you take an extra second to do the change it normally sorts it out! :thumbs:

Agree with those above in general, until the oil in the box has warmed to its correct operating temp its treacle characteristic when cold will mean a more restrictive change . I usually give a small throttle blip on the change up while it still cold to help the change - once its warm the change is smooth as silk :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Ive had problems 1st to 2nd gear, stiff changing and clonking as descibed before. My car is 2007- 9500 miles. They stripped it down and ordered loads of parts, they found gearing worn, it is covered under warranty deffinately, you can use my reg for reference if you call nissan customer services, thats if your dealer gets funny, best to report to customer services anyway, that way it is on record. My reg is C6 TEE, Regards Richard

• 4 months later...

Holy thread revival Batman!

I have a new sound that I think is relevant to this thread so I figured I'd post.

1st to 2nd has become a nightmare in my 2007. Hot/cold it doesn't matter. It clunks when cold as expected but sometimes does it when warm. Now this is the new one. Hot or cold it doesn't matter. It sounds like a turbo dump wush sound. I actually find myself looking at the gear stick every time it does it.

2nd to 3rd is a bit grindy.

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th seem fine.

Sometimes she feels down on power.

And, she randomly started to splutter when accelerating slowly. (I live in the city) It's like a learner driver kangaroo hopping. Doesn’t happen when pulling away. Only when already moving. The cure is to accelerate harder but she shouldn't be doing it at all. She'll do this at random between 1st, 2nd, 3rd. It's as if she's being starved of fuel.

If the markets hadn't gone to @*!# I'd of traded her in for a 370 already but now she's with me long term.

Will talk to the garage today and book her in for next week. Anyone got a copy of the synco TSB?

Holy thread revival Batman!

I have a new sound that I think is relevant to this thread so I figured I'd post.

1st to 2nd has become a nightmare in my 2007. Hot/cold it doesn't matter. It clunks when cold as expected but sometimes does it when warm. Now this is the new one. Hot or cold it doesn't matter. It sounds like a turbo dump wush sound. I actually find myself looking at the gear stick every time it does it.

2nd to 3rd is a bit grindy.

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th seem fine.

Sometimes she feels down on power.

And, she randomly started to splutter when accelerating slowly. (I live in the city) It's like a learner driver kangaroo hopping. Doesn’t happen when pulling away. Only when already moving. The cure is to accelerate harder but she shouldn't be doing it at all. She'll do this at random between 1st, 2nd, 3rd. It's as if she's being starved of fuel.

If the markets hadn't gone to @*!# I'd of traded her in for a 370 already but now she's with me long term.

Will talk to the garage today and book her in for next week. Anyone got a copy of the synco TSB?

Ummm had a similar problem regarding the kangaroo hopping, read my post reply in the thread link below..

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18540&highlight=

Interesting read Mr.T

Car was serviced Jan 20th and they put in 10w 40. I'll check the manual tomorrow to be sure then have it out with them next week. I don't think this will solve the gear change problems but will hopefully deal with that odd response problem.