Advice wanted - France/Spain/Portugal

Dermo

Hi all.

I'm soon to take the Z on a bit of a trip to the continent and looking for some advice. At the moment the plan is:

Get overnight ferry to Le Havre,

Take 5 days to get to Estepona (south coast of Spain, right a bit from Gibraltar) via the Millau Bridge,

After getting suitably mullered at the wedding which is the excuse for the whole jaunt, head over to Portugal to meet up with some more friends,

Somehow get home.

It'll be my first trip abroad, so absolutely any advice welcomed, from good roads to places to stay, to legal requirements (do I need headlight deflectors?), to availablity of 99 RON petrol to anything else you can think of!

Thanks in advance!

Dermo.

Legally you'll need headlight deflectors, warning triangle, first aid kit, spare bulbs and a high-vis jacket with you at all times, but whether you put the beam deflectors on or not is up to you. In the past I've found it such a ball-ache getting them lined up that I just carry the deflectors with me in case Plod gets a bit shirty.

Oh, and don't drink heavy and drive the next day. Their laws are soooo much stricter than ours, and it's not worth the risk. Petrol should be fine as premium stuff was more freely available in the continent before it was over here, but it'd be worth your while sticking a couple of bottles of octane booster in your boot just in case (the STP stuff is £5.99 in Halfrauds, and it's as good as anything else you'll buy).

Most importantly, loads of pics! :D

Watch your speed in France as the points are tranferable to uk licences now.

And make sure you carry at least €90 with you at all times in France. They fine you on the spot and if you can't pay you have to forfeit your license and then go and get the money. :angry:

Take care in Portugal, the locals are crazy drivers, they think they have the ability to see round corners, and overtake three abreast :scare::scare:

The roads are not really Z friendly.