GP2 Turkey - Dog On Track

Kev946

What a disgrace. 2 dogs get on the track. Bruno Senna hits one....dead dog Senna is out. Safety car comes out whilst they catch the other.

How on earth do the organisers let this kind of thing happen. We keep hearing of Silverstone losing F1 due to facilities needing upgrading etc. but this is basic stuff and should not happen. Turkey should loose their F1 status...OK rant over. :angry:

thats just rediculous, there should be no way a dog can find it's way onto a track, especially at a Formula 1 race. Poor dog.

It didn't. Was a GP2 race and it happened twice. First dog was obliterated. Second was caught by the marshals. The FIA will make a big deal of this as under the rules no dogs are allowed into any of the areas including the spectator areas. I would guess that both were pets as opposed to strays and someone let them in. Animals on the circuit are taken very seriously. Look what happened to Cristiano da Matta.

On August 3, 2006, Cristiano's car was involved in a collision with a deer that ran in front of him as he headed towards turn 6 during Champ Car open testing at Road America. He hit the deer with his right front tire, the deer then flew back and hit da Matta in the cockpit. It is believed when the deer hit da Matta in the cockpit, he was knocked unconscious. He remained unconscious with his foot still on the brake when the safety crew arrived and extricated da Matta from the car. Da Matta was then airlifted to Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, Wisconsin, where he underwent surgery to remove a subdural hematoma. Following the surgery, da Matta was placed in an induced coma, to allow for the swelling to subside. As of August 7, da Matta was making "slow but steady progress", while the doctors were working on reducing da Matta's level of sedation. This slow recovery was confirmed on August 9, as it was reported that Da Matta was able to move "all of his extremities spontaneously as well as in response to physical stimulation". On August 20, Da Matta was transferred out of intensive care. On August 30, Da Matta was confirmed to have made steady progress, conversing in English and Portuguese, and walking short distances. On 21 September 2006, Christiano was allowed to leave the hospital after having recovered better than expected.

When the Champ Car World Series returned to race in the Grand Prix of Road America on September 24, Cristiano da Matta gave the traditional command - "start your engines". Throughout the next couple of years, he engaged in a training and therapy regimen while deciding his racing future.

On March 20, 2008, da Matta climbed back into a race car for the first time since his accident, completing a two-day test in a Riley Daytona Prototype prepared by reigning Rolex Sports Car Series champions GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing. He found speed right away, and team owner Bob Stallings said "the comeback has begun." da Matta said, "After the test, I realized 'I still know how to do this, I remember this very well. The biggest thing I felt after the test was just a sense of relief. For me, it was a big, big relief, bigger than big." Plans are being laid to pair da Matta with another former Champ Car champion, Jimmy Vasser, and enter Rolex Series racing at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May.

a colleague works on the TV trucks and said their were loads of dogs on the circuit when they turned up earlier in the week. The stweards did a very poor job in rounding them up.

This is disgraceful. A driver shouldn't be put in that position and nor should the dog.