370z first time purchase general advice

DMZman

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 370z for the first time and I am wondering what are the general things I need to look out for? Such as underbody rust with the 350z etc, I have read up that certain models have engine sound come through the speakers, can this be disabled? And any other bits of advice and potentially years to avoid etc.

Thank you! :)

Hello and welcome! 

Rust isn't a huge problem on the 370z yet, we don't sell anywhere near as many rust replacement parts as we do for the 350z. 

If you want to disable Active Sound Enhancement (and you cannot do it programmatically with Nissan CONSULT) you can unplug (or cut) the ‘engine speed signal’ from the Bose Amp. 

Other than that, just the regular maintenance stuff, they're fairly solid cars apart from some common faults like the CSC's but that's not something you're going to spot on viewing one unless the pedal feels sticky or won't come back up. 

Worth checking if it's had the oil gallery gaskets done at all, if not, we'd recommend doing them at some point for peace of mind. 

Also, the steering locks can incur issues but it's not as common as the two issues above. 

Thank you for all of the information, it is all a great help and fills me with confidence it has less "pit falls" to look out for compared to the 350z. Did the 370z come with most of the niceties as standard then? Heated seats etc :)

GT Models had heated electric leather alcantara seats and Sat Nav. GT spec being standard in the UK with a few base cars without. Bluetooth streaming, usb input, cruise control, snow button on some models, synchrorev on manuals

Convertible comes with air conditioned/heated seats and alcantara door cards and knee pads!

GT Edition like mine alcantara door cards. 

Nismo had lightweight recaro alcantara seats. Although the Nismo was heavier for some reason. Cornered flat and had only 11 hp more. It allowed more midrange punch. 

The 370 is slightly quicker than the later 350 HR only just. The 370 GT is slightly lighter but bulkier body and higher seating position

Ive owned 4 zeds including 2 Nismo and theyve all been reliable. Im hesitant to move on due to reliability of rivals. All Nismos in UK are manual. 

The 350Z issues were more due to age than anything. Mine being rust, starter motor, drop links, banana arms. The 350Z is longer than the 370. The 370 has a shorter wheel base and more grip at the back. The 370 engine doesn't sound as good as the 350 and needs proper exhaust with cross over pipes to mirror the 350Z. That being H or X pipes. Where as on the 350 i had straight pipes. 

The 370 for me has more road presence and is slightly better interior wise. It isnt as raw and lacks a bit of the character the 350 had. They both turn heads and its never dull driving either. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Thanks for the advice guys - it's made me a lot more confident in making a quicker purchase :) It's just finding the sweet spot of price now, theres a lot of low mileage models out there still which is great to see! 

yeah theres loads on Autotrader below market value like a manual convertibe thats been on there months at around £12k. If you want niche colours like yellow those tend to be overpriced and snapped up. I had mine for sale for a few weeks but decided to keep it for now until i can get the exhaust fitted. Its an auto so suits me in the city where you have to change gears more times than a Fast and Furious movie. 

If you want a 12 onwards its usually around £14k with avg miles and facelifts 14/15 plates are now around £17k+. Although i missed out on a facelift for 15k over a year ago. Went to a dealer who sold it for £18000+