Aspiring grease monkeys only...

Digsy

Tried to "Fire up the Micra!!!" this morning but all I got was a clicking noise and all the lights on the dash blinking continously. Now I don't expect an online diagnosis or fix but as I'm a numpty with these things does anyone have any pointers as to what I can look for? :headhurt:

put the headlights on and try to start it , if they go really dim its the battery dead, if they dont its the starter motor sticking

if its the starter, put the car in 3rd gear and rock it backwards and forwards and try again :thumbs:

its an easy cheap fix either way , battery or starter

Lights on dash, are they flashing or dimming? I'd guve Gix's diagnosis a go, should tell you either way :thumbs:

Flashing rapidly, not dimming. Whenever I've had a flat battery in the past the dash lights have dimmed.

When it stops raining I'll give Gixxer's suggestions a bash and see how I get on.

Thanks for the input, lads. :thumbs:

Lights on dash, are they flashing or dimming? I'd guve Gix's diagnosis a go, should tell you either way :thumbs:

Flashing rapidly, not dimming. Whenever I've had a flat battery in the past the dash lights have dimmed.

Yeah, I'd expect them to dim too. But this is a Jap car, you never know if its meant to be telling you the battery is dead! :lol:

Yeah, I'd expect them to dim too. But this is a Jap car, you never know if its meant to be telling you the battery is dead! :lol:

they dont dim if its the starter, the clicking is the soleniod, which is caused by either lack of battery power to turn the starter or a sticking starter motor, if you put in 3rd gear and rock it backwards and forwards it will sometimes free the starter off as a temporary fix :thumbs:

sometimes tapping the starter a with hammer has the same effect ;)

If it was fine after a jump start it may be the alternator is on its way out and not charging the battery.

If you can put a voltmeter across the battery terminals when it is running you should be getting about 14volts. Less than that and your alternator probably isn't supplying enough power.