Some quick oil advice please..

Rob350

So my DE is using oil like 70% of them out there. Though mine is pretty thirsty at 700ml/1k with 5/30

Anyway.. I'm going to go 10/40 now..

The question is.. I have always used castrol edge in my cars.. I'm sure I've read a thread on here were someone said they used a fuchs oil it was fine, then went castrol edge and it started using it, then back to fuchs and was fine again. 

I have read even with other cars that some castrol oils are thinner/burn more than other oils even though the the same weights have been used.

Can anyone tell me from experience  what oils burns less than Castrol??

I'm sure the thread said titan fuchs, theres a few different titan fuchs to choose from though.

Any experiences or knowledge would be great.

Thanks..

• 1 month later...

I've been scouting the internet to find an answer and it seem to boil to the same issue, using the wrong oil brand... My 06 DE just had its service, I've been checking the oil level religiously, I've found i use about 1L per 100 miles, I've done about 300 miles and the oil seems mega dark, should I try a different oil or just head out for an engine rebuild? 

104k miles on clock using 5w-40

1 minute ago, Ekona said:

1L every 100mi is pretty much the sign of a dead engine, I’d get a new engine sooner rather than later. That’s an horrendous amount of oil to be using. 

I've had this car for 14 days, just spoke to previous owner, he's claiming the car never had an issue like that and he's not willing to cooperate and I'm on verge of crying now 

1lt per 100 miles is crazy.

if burning that amount of oil you would have an excessive amount of blue smoke coming out the exhaust depending on what cats you are running.

Check for oil leaks and if okay I would change the oil and filter with the correct oil and OEM filter.

If problem still persists, then time for a transplant I am afraid.

3 hours ago, Deemanon said:

I've had this car for 14 days, just spoke to previous owner, he's claiming the car never had an issue like that and he's not willing to cooperate and I'm on verge of crying now 

Ouch, that’s an expensive lesson to learn, sorry dude :( 

Unless there's excessive blue smoke, the only thing I can add to Alex's advice is to make absolutely sure you're reading the oil level accurately - it's remarkably easy to get it wrong on the DE; cold engine, left of level ground overnight, no excessive dipping.

To get a completely accurate view, drain it and measure the amount coming out.

If you really are using that much oil and there's no blue smoke, check for leaks first and foremost then consider changing the oil. If none of that fixes your issue then it's time to start thinking about an engine swap.

32 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Unless there's excessive blue smoke, the only thing I can add to Alex's advice is to make absolutely sure you're reading the oil level accurately - it's remarkably easy to get it wrong on the DE; cold engine, left of level ground overnight, no excessive dipping.

To get a completely accurate view, drain it and measure the amount coming out.

If you really are using that much oil and there's no blue smoke, check for leaks first and foremost then consider changing the oil. If none of that fixes your issue then it's time to start thinking about an engine swap.

I'm gonna go give it a dip in a moment, it's been stood since last night (10pm) hopefully there something in there as I put 2 liters in at Chester services and got to Leeds... No blue smoke, very minimal smoke to be honest.. Smells hella bad putting foot down 

Any common places to check for leaks? 

Edited by Deemanon