How to Identify Headlights

Ardesco

May be a dumb question, but how do I tell what headlights I have.

I have a JDM so I'm assuming they would originally have been HID lights, but I have no idea if they were removed and replaced, or swapped out and then back to HID for the SVA.

How do you tell the difference?

No idea. HIDs switch on and kind of warm up, so the light sort of turns up. Hard to explain but I know what I mean! :lol:

Normal lights just turn on to full but the HIDs intesity rises quickly but it's not instant.

Does that make any sense at all? :blush:

The central indent in the bumper, the LED rear lights (seen in another post of yours) and your headlights reveal it must be an 06 car and they are the HID lights that have a far brighter and whiter light output than previous models- much, much better :thumbs: .

And by the way, the age of car that explains why you got hit with a £220 tax bill for 6 months, even though it is an import. Its the earlier imports that are currently 'getting away' with a lower tax bracket - lucky for them :dry:

It's a 54 plate, not a 06 (would have been an amazing bargain of it was an 06 :teeth: ).

As far as I was aware there were two different sorts of light types that handled full beam in different ways:

One that has a full beam bulb and a normal bulb.

One that has a bulb that is obstructed by a flap that moves up and down to give you normal and full beam.

I was assuming that HID was the latter but I may be making all of this up :)

My full beam is currently not working hence me trying to work out what sort of lights I have.

54?????????? You have something you shouldnt.. Thats an 06 bumper and headlights... Did they tell you that?

Your talking about the difference between mk1 lights and mk2...

And your rears have been upraded to LED's too...

Were you the 1st owner from Japan or did you buy it after a UK owner had it?

I have a JUMVEA stating year of registration is 2004 and according to DVLA it was first registered in the UK in December 2007. I was told that it had an LED lights option which I assumed was just the rear, I'm just not sure what the front ones are. From what is being said I'm guessing they were upgraded as well.

I still have no idea if they are HID or not though.

I have a JUMVEA stating year of registration is 2004 and according to DVLA it was first registered in the UK in December 2007. I was told that it had an LED lights option which I assumed was just the rear, I'm just not sure what the front ones are. From what is being said I'm guessing they were upgraded as well.

I still have no idea if they are HID or not though.

OK, lets try top resolve this for you. Does the inside of your car about the gear lever area look like this:

P1020201.jpg

If it does not have the brushed alloy surround to the gearlever and 3 dials in front and the hazard warning light switch below them and the sliding lid storage box behind the gear lever then it is likely to be a pre 06 car.

Your headlight casings are certainly 06. That is confirmed by the 4 'lugs' to the rear that reflect the amber LED sidelights. As to whether the headlights are Bi-Xenon, these are a much brighter white than pre-06 lights and far more powerful than the earlier versions. You can tell by the fact they 'warm-up' when your first switch them on, as someone has said earlier in this thread.

If you have all that lot then either you have an 06 car, or a 2004 one that previous owner(s) have gone to alot of trouble to update, whichever you should have something of a bargain if you paid 2004 money for it. :thumbs:

As I said in my last post then your car has externally had 06 parts added - to check the headlights further try to meet up with another pre-06 ZED owner and compare your headlights - best done at night of course! ;)

yeh, I know but thats what I am saying... You cant get 06+ headlights in anything else than HLD Bi-Xenon!

And my other point is that rears are fine to swap as many of us have recently done so.... at £250 ish..

The front is a different matter, they are about £1200 and then there is the front bumper.... I was just wondering if it may have been in a shunt at somepoint... Yes they can be upgraded but thats a big Mod to leave on a car that has been sold for a reasonable price...

yeh, I know but thats what I am saying... You cant get 06+ headlights in anything else than HLD Bi-Xenon!

I would not know if the internal arrangment of the light housing allows for other bulb fitments (never have seen one apart). I wholly agree that in normal circumstances that it would illogical not to have the Bi-Xenon's with those housings but then Ardesco's car has undergone some cosmetic changes to partially bring it up to 06 spec - has it undergone the whole hog with the lights, which a comparison with another pre 06 ZED would sort out ........ :surrender:

Ahhhh got ya!! Very true... I did just have a look at the bulbs that fit both versions and the housing that fits on the 06 dosnt look like the 03... Thats not to say someone hasnt made it fit...

Not sure how far Brackley is away from Milton Keynes but there are a few of us meeting up on Saturday night so if your free and fancy meeting up then you will have a few Zeds to compare!

September 2005 cars in JDM are 99% MY06 facelift models. I know this as I was trying to get around the lack of MY06 model report when I imported mine. Thought about sneaking in a late 05 and putting it through the MY05 report :-)