Road Tax Query

chrisphillips

Hi all,

Don't know about you lot but I am a bit confused about the 2009 road tax bands etc .. According to the DVLA I will be paying I think around the £440 mark which you can't do much about but my query is as follows:

On my V5 and on vehicle info on the DVLA site my CO2 emmisions are 173g/km, unusual to say the least as the 350z ranges from 273g/km anyway are we all going to be lumped into one generic band or will it be taken from what they have in their database on a particular single vehicle. I am paying £170.00 /year at the moment.

Just wondered if anyone could enlighten me.

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry don't understand, are you saying the V5 for your Z shows 173g/km if so it must be a typo, as far as I know all Z's are 273g/km

Thats my point. It probably is a typo but will that mean that under the 2009 rules it will be classed in a lower band because of what it says on their database and the v5 or will it just get lumped into a generic band and the figures they have on the database will just be ignored?

If your Zed was registered after 23/2/06 it's £400, otherwise £210

I must be getting confused LOL. I was going by this page http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroo ... /DG_073093

I will give myself a :fishslap:

No I'm probably confusing you.

To clarify

Up to 31/3/09 - if your Zed was registered before 23/2/06 = £210, after 23/3/06 £400.

After 1/4/09 it will be £440 irrespective when registered.

What you will pay because your V5 is wrong, I havn't a clue.

Sorry don't understand, are you saying the V5 for your Z shows 173g/km if so it must be a typo, as far as I know all Z's are 273g/km

Thats my point. It probably is a typo but will that mean that under the 2009 rules it will be classed in a lower band because of what it says on their database and the v5 or will it just get lumped into a generic band and the figures they have on the database will just be ignored?

Keep your mouth shut and wait and see. If you don't pay full whack its a windfall, isn't it. :)

If your Zed was registered after 23/2/06 it's £400, otherwise £210

I must be getting confused LOL. I was going by this page http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroo ... /DG_073093

I will give myself a :fishslap:

No I'm probably confusing you.

To clarify

Up to 31/3/09 - if your Zed was registered before 23/2/06 = £210, after 23/3/06 £400.

What you will pay because your V5 is wrong, I havn't a clue.

Thats good clarification - I understand ;) I will just have to wait to see if they take it by the v5 or not, either way, I'm not that bothered as I will still be driving a Zed.

Cheers

Is it an import? I'm guessing it is and its taxation class is PLG. Some importers do this, some don't when the car is imported.

Its particularly true of JDM only cars like the DC5.

Basically this means they don't have c02 figures for your car.

If it is then the tax bracket is correct and you'll pay £185 next year I believe.

There's an interesting article about tax brackets in this months Evo magazine. It is confusing - I read it twice and still didn't understand ;)

There are a few ways to pay less tax, ie buying an import, or something produced in small numbers like a Caterham (tempting!). Or you can mod your car and it still retains it's original status on the V5. Another suggestion was to buy a pre-1972(?) car to qualify for tax exemption - there were a few interesting suggestions like Ferrari's etc. I think that owning an Early '70's Ferrari to save a couple of hundred quid tax would be a bit of a false economy though :lol:

Either way the outlook's bleak. Lets root for Porsche, at least if they shaft Red Ken it'll be a start :boxing:

the import thing is interesting but not strictly correct - some of us *cough* have ended up paying quite low tax and others have been hammered depending on the way an import has been handled and classified at the local DVLA office who dealt with it. I'm paying the same as I did on my civic type R.

I'd completely missed out on clocking this fact. There was me thinking things weren't too bad for me and my '53 - at least I wasn't having to pay the £400 tax. Then this morning a smug little Elise driving friend of mine sends me this...

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17987

Needless to say a few unprintable words have have been muttered. :rant:

Joy of joys - basically boils down to whatever the budget said, was wrong! They keep changing their minds now that everyone else has pointed out the problems with what they proposed. Bunch of idiots. :dry:

Im seriously contemplating writing to my MP and asking whether I can challenge the emissions level set out on my Z.

At the MOT I just had, the chap said it was running very clean.

I looked at the print out and no @*!# its running clean:

On the fast Idle test(2500 - 3000rpm), the limit for CO is 0.3%. Mine is running at 0.01 The limit for HC is 200 parts per million, mine is runing at Zero. Lambda has to be between 0.97 and 1.03 - its running at 1.

On the idle test 450 - 1500rpm, the CO limit is 0.5%, again its running at 0.01.

So I want a rebate. :lol:

Just bought a JDM here and I'm being stiffed for £400/year :rant:

Try owning a Z in Ireland - €1,491 road tax! :angry::angry::angry:

But how does the on-the-road price of a new ZED in Ireland compare to England ;)