TV Advice

MrLizard

I am moving house finally on Thursday :yahoo:

I want a new TV, I currently run my xbox360 & PC through a 26" HD monitor which is great but not for the size of lounge, so what are peoples opinions on this

http://www.johnlewis.com/230459974/Product.aspx

Is there a better alternative, I will also be buying a PS3 for the new TV, so ideally would want 1080p, budget of around £1k for the TV but no more.

Thanks

MrLizard

PS is GT5 worth getting?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike

The one you posted can only go upto 1024x768, Im currently running in 720p which is something like 1368x768, 1080p would be 1980x1080 (i think)

Would of thought dropping in resolution that much with a TV that size would look bad? need to see some in the flesh but everywhere i go have crap signals running through them :(

I did see the 85B panasonic in the flesh and love it, but couldnt find it for cheaper than £1300 with warranty...

£1300 on a TV is a lot...

you think it is worth the extra dosh?

Think mine is the TH42PZ70B or something like that. Yes i think it is worth the extra dosh, seen it for £1199 :thumbs:

I am moving house finally on Thursday :yahoo:

I want a new TV, I currently run my xbox360 & PC through a 26" HD monitor which is great but not for the size of lounge, so what are peoples opinions on this

http://www.johnlewis.com/230459974/Product.aspx

I got that Sony two weeks ago. Love it with the PS3. So good with the PS3 and blueray that I haven't bothered hooking up the satellite. I keep it in my games room.

My mate bought a panasonic 1080p, the 42thpz80 which is their brand new model

He got it for a steal at about 850 quid from a local harrogate store. Says it's amazing.

I have a panny 42px70 and love it too. It's the best TV for SD I've seen, as I don't have Sky.

Thanks for the replies, I dont watch TV, only movies and play games, only watch TV series when i can get the box set (im unsure if thats sad or not...)

So SD doesnt appeal to much, hoping with the films etc it should be able to upscale well enough etc...

Good to hear your liking the sony with the ps3, do you rate movies through it as well, are you using anything to upscale the signal?

Mike

The one you posted can only go upto 1024x768, Im currently running in 720p which is something like 1368x768, 1080p would be 1980x1080 (i think)

Would of thought dropping in resolution that much with a TV that size would look bad? need to see some in the flesh but everywhere i go have crap signals running through them :(

it looks great on the xbox, it's what I use but the 37". TBO I wouldn't sweat too much about true HD. Hardly anything on telly is True HD as its just upscaled. The cost implactions for TV companies to do true HD programmes is massive and TV programme budgets are getting smaller and smaller.

Sony all the way for me. Far superior software and colour management. Also new models about to be released so the current 1080 ones are coming down in price.

Saying that I was admiring a Panasonic the other day!

Outside of that is would be the Pioneer Plasma, still the best screen on the market but I think its about £1500.. IMO!!

Just to add, if you havnt got a strong digital signal then a 1080 screen can give you the worst picture ever!!!

pioneer are one of the best but they've now pulled out of the plasma market. When you put a plasma beside a LCD the detail is far greater on the plasma. Also the black levels are far better, something LCD struggles with.

We have plasmas in all our editing suites for client viewing after testing both formats

pioneer are one of the best but they've now pulled out of the plasma market. When you put a plasma beside a LCD the detail is far greater on the plasma. Also the black levels are far better, something LCD struggles with.

We have plasmas in all our editing suites for client viewing after testing both formats

+1 on that, however if you are going down the LCD route, i would always get Sony. I dont know why, i just prefer their picture and tones.

I just got a hdmi cable for the xbox so im going to see what my Bravia can really do. :thumbs:

I only watch blueray movies using the PS3 and hdmi cable. I'll never buy a DVD again. The picture quality different is incredible. The only other tv I watch on it is stuff I've downloaded from the states. The PS3 seems to automatically upscale it as the quality is far better than my laptop and better than standard tv from sky.

I always find the Pana screens to have by far the best colour. Visit www.whathifi.co.uk to see just how Sony screens measure up..... ;)

As for a deal on the screen - latest round of tests are showing this range of LCD's to outperform plasmas. Hence the price difference you can now see at a particular screen size. This is one awesome screen (and award winner) for a bargain price.

http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/mor ... t_id=15660

:)

I always find the Pana screens to have by far the best colour. Visit www.whathifi.co.uk to see just how Sony screens measure up..... ;)

As for a deal on the screen - latest round of tests are showing this range of LCD's to outperform plasmas. Hence the price difference you can now see at a particular screen size. This is one awesome screen (and award winner) for a bargain price.

http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/mor ... t_id=15660

:)

That is an awesome price! :thumbs:

Yeah i'll second H5's views on the Panasonics, they always seem to come out best in the What Sound & Vision group tests.

I was going to go for a Panasonic but then realised due to the speaker positioning on the Pana (down the sides) it takes up more room - if i went for one with the speakers along the bottom (non Pana) i could actually fit a larger screen into the same space - if that makes sense? :blush:

I think as long as its 37 inch or above and has full 1080p you cant go wrong for games and movies on the PS3 - something from Panasonic or Sony will always be of a decent quality. Toshiba do some good screens too and are a bit cheaper.

Ideally you want to find a retailer offering a set you want at a lower price than John Lewis - then get the details and get John Lewis to price match it using their 'Never Knowingly Undersold' policy - that way you benefit from the 5 year guarantee and a real good price! I dont think they match online prices though - only high street retailers.

Best plasmas:PIONEER

Best LCD: Sony

Costco quite cheap & Dixons.co.uk also

Not much diff between LCD & plasma: LCD sharper image with more vibrant colours. Plasma more natural softer image & better for fast sporting events (less pixalation)

I got a Panasonic Vierra Plasma 42" - totally awesome on any picture source. You have to watch dealers. They often use HD sources in the shop to give best picture. A lot of poorer screens only show up their faults once you connect them to a std aerial or sky. Everyone that comes round can't believe how good the picture is even on std TV - they often think I'm on a Sky HD channel !

If you want a big one - 36"+ - then it has to be plasma. LCDs show up pixels and can't cope with fast moving pictures like sports etc. They ghost. OK if you want a smaller TV as you can't see it so easily.

Got it attached to a seperate Sony 5.1 digital surround for full effect. Not found any TV with good enough speakers.

Thanks for the post drewbie, the 42" pana was the one i really wanted, just right at the top end of the budget..

I have an onkyo 5.1 amp with more than enough audio equipment,4 missions/b&w sub an centre so i certainly dont care about the quality of the TV speaker :) (Thanks student loan company)

Ive been told that you cant lay a plasma on its side? Is that true???