My next car will be.....(cheaper than the 350z).....

MarkW

I was originally going to sell in January but then decided to keep the 350Z a while longer (until after the Wales meet in May at least :teeth: )

However my mortgage is shooting up in June as my fixed rate comes to an end ( :scare: ), and what with the rising fuel prices and ridiculous car tax that the so called govt are imposing, I'm still looking to sell soon and get something cheaper to run.

I still want something with good performance, useable every day, reasonable running costs, good spec, and as new as possible which is leading me down the hot hatch route.

I have set myself a budget of up to £13k once Ive sold the Zed and after much reading, analysing and digesting the best performance bargain (at least on paper seems to be the....

RENAULT MEGANE 2.0 T 16V Renaultsport 230 F1 Team R26

It seems to be the hatch of choice for most of the enthusiast mags (Evo etc), plus the fastest and the best handling with revised cup chassis and LSD. In black, without the decals, I even think they look quite good :blush:

PROS

- They are well kitted out with Recaros, 18" Anthracite Alloys, Climate, Cruise, Xenons (optional), CD/MP3, Folding Elec Mirrors, Auto lights & wipers, keyless entry, sports exhaust etc

- The emissions are only 200g/km which puts it in a reasonable band of the new tax bands

- Fuel economy in the high 20s/low 30s should be acheivable

- Performance is fastest of all hatches (bar S3) and 0-60 in 6.2 isnt too shabby

- I can get a 1 year old car with 10k miles for 13k (new list £20k)

Like this one: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/391320.htm

CONS

- Its french (so allegedly bits fall off and more depreciation!)

- Renault dealers dont have a great reputation

- The interior isnt much to shout about

- The exterior looks divide opinion

- There is a new megane out next year

My thoughts on other hot hatches are:

Focus ST - Drove it, Nice engine noise, Didnt feel that fast but tuneable, seat position to MPV like, Fuel economy as bad as the 350Z, high emissions, Dull unless Orange, Dont like Orange

Astra VXR - Halfords special, Chavlike, fast in a straight line, poor interior

Golf GTi - Nice but Dull, Basic spec as std, Would only be looking at a late 2004/2005 in budget, best residuals

Civic Type-R, love the looks, the kit, no torque, performance not as useable, cant get one for much under 15k

Seat Leon - Its an MPV, horrid interior, Cupra looks ok with bodykit, reviews not that good, would wish i'd bought a Golf

Clio 197 - Smaller than Megane, better looking, no torque, need to rev the nuts off it, generally poor reviews, a better one will be along soon

So, am I mad for considering the Megane? Anyone driven one?

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to completely change my opinion with no justification, and probably will do over the next two months!

I'd keep the Z if you can - the Megane might be a bit of a false economy.

I'd say its definitely going to depreciate a great deal quicker than the Z and i'm sure you'll feel like you're taking a step back in terms of quality (exterior - panel fit & paint finish / interior - plastics and ergonomics). Dealers are pretty terrible as you say. Also i think you might find those mpg figures you've quoted a little optimistic but who knows, servicing costs i think will be similar or possibly a little more expensive than the Z.

Just my thoughts really as a former Renaultsport owner, you could check out renaultsport and megane sport forums for some other advice and info. Also i'd get a test drive to see what you think of it - i remember sitting in an R26 and really didnt get on with the gearshift - size of gearstick, length of throw and feel of shift - just something that sticks in my mind.

I've no doubt it'll be a cracking hot hatch though and fun to drive :teeth:

Can you sort me out a remortgage so I can buy a zed in the first place hehe :lol:

Yep :lol:

Personally I love the megane. Be prepared to lose a stack of cash though, indicated by the £7k it lost in its first 12 months with only 10k on the clock :)

Its probably what I'd buy out of the cars you listed :)

I nearly bought a brand new R26 instead of a Z.....love them, but couldnt live with the frenchness day in day out I dont think!

Can you get the R26 spec for £13k already!?!? I was looking a couple of month back and you couldnt get one for under £16k! Christ so it is true that the depreciation is quicker than the car :p

Sarnie,

If you can get me a deal at 4.25% with no fees my business is yours :teeth:

I like the JDM Type-R, but its not exactly a money saving venture!

Agree about some of the negative french comments, but as a cheap fast newish car, I cant think of anything else better at the moment.

On the subject of depreciation, if its at £13k after one year, and will be say 40% after 3 years that is £8k. Therefore it will loose another £5k in two years or £2.5k per year, or £200 per month which aint that bad.....

Sarnie,

If you can get me a deal at 4.25% with no fees my business is yours :teeth:

I like the JDM Type-R, but its not exactly a money saving venture!

Agree about some of the negative french comments, but as a cheap fast newish car, I cant think of anything else better at the moment.

On the subject of depreciation, if its at £13k after one year, and will be say 40% after 3 years that is £8k. Therefore it will loose another £5k in two years or £2.5k per year, or £200 per month which aint that bad.....

DC5? :teeth:

Will look abit classier with the oem spoiler i guess:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128716#128716

If not this then id go with the R26.

Hi Mark...

I've been going through the exact same dilemma for the last 6 weeks, and read all the car mags to help with my decision, but after going to look at a few i've decided to keep my Z.

The megane was top of my list - until i sat in it. I dont care how well it performs, the interior and driving position were terrible. I was sat upright as if i was driving a Renault Kangoo!

The Golf was better, and apparently is the best to own, although its performance is not as hot. But it doesn't stand out.

I started looking at Integra's but they're group 20 insurance, so wouldn't be any cheaper.

However, my best mate has just bought a 57 plate Civic Type R with 3k on the clock. He's paid £14.5k for it and its brilliant. I hate the look of it - from the outside. However it has THE BEST INTERIOR I HAVE EVER SEEN!! Its like a bloody spaceship. I've never seen anything like it, and once i'd driven it i decided that i could happily own one myself!

However, for performance/economy/quality, i would go for a previous shape e46 BMW coupe. I had a 328Ci and performance was excellent - better top end than the Z and comparable 0-60. I would have no problem going back to one of these. ... and fuel was costing me £20 a week less when i had it!

Good luck - you've got some tough decisions!:wacko:

I had a 328Ci and performance was excellent - better top end than the Z and comparable 0-60. I would have no problem going back to one of these. ... and fuel was costing me £20 a week less when i had it!

Ive never driven a 328, but with only 190ish bhp i highly doubt it has a better top end IMO :blush: . Ive easily dispatched 330's petrol and diesels too.

Also when i bought my DC5 my insurance went down from the price i was paying for the Zed... :)

I had a 328Ci and performance was excellent - better top end than the Z and comparable 0-60. I would have no problem going back to one of these. ... and fuel was costing me £20 a week less when i had it!

Ive never driven a 328, but with only 190ish bhp i highly doubt it has a better top end IMO :blush: . Ive easily dispatched 330's petrol and diesels too.

Also when i bought my DC5 my insurance went down from the price i was paying for the Zed... :)

I agree with what you are saying, so maybe it was the gearing/torque curve?

All i know is that when i put my foot down at 80 on the motorway in 5th gear, it would feel like it got to 100 quicker than in my Z. 0-100 in Z is quicker, but it felt like the 80-100 was quicker in the BMW.

I love DC5's and looked at them before I got the Zed. Insurance was double the Zed for me though, well it was with Privilege anyway. Guess I could shop around.

How do the emissions work on an import, and what band is the DC5? I dont want to be paying £440 a year road tax like the zed will be next year, so am looking at something up to 200 g/km which will be £260 according to the govt web site...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroo ... /DG_073093

Marzman, keeping the Z for longer is what I decided to do in January :teeth:, but really need to do something about it this year. I havent sat in a Megane R26, but with the Recaro's I was hoping they might be quite good. Was it the 230 R26 you sat in or the std 225? My ex wife used to have a diesel Megane and I hated driving it the steering was so vague and light, and the seats pretty cr4p.

I like the interior and exterior of the Civic Type-R, I just think I will get frustrated with the lack of torque and having to rev it to get decent performance. I had an RX8 before, and whilst I loved it, it really wasnt that fast unless you revved the nuts off it which is fine when youre in the mood, but sometimes you just want to put your foot down and get an instant response.

Am in no rush, but will have to try to get a test drive in the Magane at some point, to at least rule it in or out.....

Ohhh... now that you mention it, it was a 225. Hopefully the 230 will be better cos when i sat in the 225 i was like :thumbdown:

You guys have got me worried now... i though £400+ tax only applied to cars registered after 2k3????

My Z is a JDM, from Sept 03 i think. I taxed it just last week and it was only £101 for 6 months. Am i gonna get spanked next year????

Ohhh... now that you mention it, it was a 225. Hopefully the 230 will be better cos when i sat in the 225 i was like :thumbdown:

You guys have got me worried now... i though £400+ tax only applied to cars registered after 2k3????

My Z is a JDM, from Sept 03 i think. I taxed it just last week and it was only £101 for 6 months. Am i gonna get spanked next year????

yup, i just taxed mine £205 for 12 months but next year the dvla will have our pants down :headhurt: