My next car will be.....(cheaper than the 350z).....

MarkW

Ohhh... now that you mention it, it was a 225. Hopefully the 230 will be better cos when i sat in the 225 i was like :thumbdown:

You guys have got me worried now... i though £400+ tax only applied to cars registered after 2k3????

My Z is a JDM, from Sept 03 i think. I taxed it just last week and it was only £101 for 6 months. Am i gonna get spanked next year????

These are the Recaro seats in the 230 R26 F1, they look quite good but will reserve judgement until ive tried them....

440336-1.jpg

Not sure what the deal is with road tax on a JDM, but UK cars regardless of age will be taxed as follows: 2009 - £440, 2010 - £455

if you do get an R26...sign up to meganesport.net (think its called that anyway! if not its something similar)

I went on there and said I was looking to buy...someone pm'd me the number of a guy who works for renault who offered me a brand spanker with a list price of £21k+ (full leather etc) for £17,200! The local stealers wouldnt come down past £19k when I tried them.

Those recaros are pretty comfy and supportive - i had them in one of my old cars - the only thing is that its not real leather on them, instead its a vinyl covering.

Have you thought about a Renaultsport 182 Trophy?

Same seats as the R26, lightweight Speedline Turini's and Sachs adjustable dampers as standard. Will fall into a lower road tax bracket than the others your looking at, will return an easy 35mpg combined, and you can have a mint 55 plate car for under 10k. Considered by Evo magazine as the best hot hatch produced.

Those recaros are pretty comfy and supportive - i had them in one of my old cars - the only thing is that its not real leather on them, instead its a vinyl covering.

Same seats as the R26, lightweight Speedline Turini's and Sachs adjustable dampers as standard. Will fall into a lower road tax bracket than the others your looking at, will return an easy 35mpg combined, and you can have a mint 55 plate car for under 10k. Considered by Evo magazine as the best hot hatch produced.

I love the Trophy but an easy 35mpg is alittle optomistic.

Briefly considered the Trophy, amazing drive by all accounts, but just to small, basic and unpleasant for long journies. Good if you had a second car tho.

What I would really like is the Megane 230 engine with the LSD the new clio. :teeth:

A black 230 F1 with stickers on overtook me last night, and must admit I did like the look of it. First one ive seen in black B)

Sinbad - 35mpg is easily achieved from my experience and thats from a real mix of driving.

Mark - The 230 engine in the new Clio would be perfect - its just what the slightly chubby new clio needs in my opinion. I'd be surprised if Renault ever did it though as i think their Megane 230 R26 sales would be seriously affected!

Only just seen this topic... could have written most of the first post myself as looking at hot hatches to replace the Zed so I can transport little one(s). Managing to keep the zed until number 2 arrives :yahoo: Agree with so much of what was said. I would maybe be looking at new rather than a year or so old but the same things apply. I can get away with only 2 doors so I'm waiting to see what the new Scirrocco (sp) looks like in the flesh. Another factor is the dreaded car tax ... 2litre turbo's seem to be the best compromise in terms of performance and CO2 emissions at the moment. New Focus would be interesting but its bound to have high CO2 given what the ST already kicks out.

I guess if I had to decide today it would be a GTI....

But maybe ask me tomorrow and it would be the madder megane in bright yellow ( not sure about those stickers though ). See one at work car park every day and think... yeah ... but those residuals suck and its a bit boy racerish ( in yellow anyway ) and quality not up to much.... oh so its the golf then...

God this process sucks when you love your current car so much and you are having to change cos you HAVE to not cos you WANT to....

Sinbad - 35mpg is easily achieved from my experience and thats from a real mix of driving.

Mark - The 230 engine in the new Clio would be perfect - its just what the slightly chubby new clio needs in my opinion. I'd be surprised if Renault ever did it though as i think their Megane 230 R26 sales would be seriously affected!

Mmm im not too sure, my friends 182cup was only giving him around the 26mpg mark which has the same engine. You'd have to be doing just motorway miles to get 35mpg id imagine. No point in having a performance car if yor worried about fuel.