Experience of 'budget' brakes and self fitting

heyho

Want to fit new pads and discs (front have MOT advisories) on my 2004 Z with brembos. Is it a fairly easy job to do. Any pitfalls to look out for. Might do all four wheels.

Which brings me on to budget. Seen reviews on here for DBA T2's, Stoptech etc. This is an occasional, no track car I drive. Can I get away with less £££. I have noticed Kinetix have reasonable reviews. I appreciate the need for decent brakes though but don't have a wife that understands lol

• Haha 1

I think you generally get what you pay for with brakes. Pootling around cheaper ones wont be fading or failing apart in the calipers - I have a Celica GT4 and bought EBC red stuff pads and grooved discs all round for £300 reduced from something like £550 on deal at brake depot. Worth looking out for seasonal deals etc?

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to everyones input. I did look at the EBC red stuff on Brake Depot. This was their four wheel offer:

https://direct.brakedepot.co.uk/for-nissan-350z-front-rear-performance-brake-discs-and-ebc-redstuff-pads-brembo.html?category_id=638

The EBC red stuff pads get a good review online but looking at this package is it let down by the discs. They seem a bit cheap or is it me?

And sorry for being a numpty but 2 x CNC Milling? Does that mean both front and back get grooved?

Edited by heyho

I've used MTEC brakes before and they seemed a good deal. Not used them on the Zed though. Just totted it up and it comes to £310.24 for 4 grooved mtec discs with their protective coating, 4 brembo pads and some free copper grease.

I always went for grooved due to potential issues with drilled ones cracking. Not sure if this still happen but I remember it from when I was a younger pip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

I've used MTEC brakes before and they seemed a good deal. Not used them on the Zed though. Just totted it up and it comes to £310.24 for 4 grooved mtec discs with their protective coating, 4 brembo pads and some free copper grease.

I always went for grooved due to potential issues with drilled ones cracking. Not sure if this still happen but I remember it from when I was a younger pip.

Also used Mtech on my 350z, road and track, cant say i noticed any difference between them and dba's that i used previously, the only thing i cant comment on was lifespan.

• Thanks 1

Must admit these days I will fit the cheapest discs I can, but the best pads I can afford. In my experience, it’s the pad that makes more of a difference and since good pads are normally quite abrasive anyway, I see little point in ruining expensive discs! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So after a lot of searching, mainly on here, I have decided to go with the following given I only do low road mileage and also budget constraints (sub £400):

Discs - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-NISSAN-350Z-FRONT-REAR-KINETIX-DIMPLED-GROOVED-PERFORMANCE-BRAKE-DISCS-SET/252898413495?hash=item3ae1eb8bb7:g:x-8AAOSwn-tZGtrB

Pads - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-REDSTUFF-FRONT-REAR-PADS-KIT-FOR-NISSAN-350Z-3-5-BREMBO-2003-09/141926473906?fits=Model%3A350+Z&epid=21006377529&hash=item210b7a20b2:g:XmoAAOSwXY5ZO3u5

i.e. Kinetix discs and Redstuff pads

Anybody going to shout out 'DON'T DO IT!!!' Go with this instead?