Sticky race tyre..

Ortega_9

Hi, i have a little problem with the Grip on my falken 275/35/19 when dooing some straight Line Racing.

Anyone have experience with some Sticky street tyres, r888, nitto etc.

Any advice before plunging in.?

I'm thinking some 17x10 ish wheels and some 265-305 wide tyres to go with it. 

What tyres are you using now? What power levels are you at? And how much do you hate your drivetrain?

But yes, if you're only on regular tyres then any semi-slick will massively improve your launches. Proper slicks even more so, but they take a little more effort to get right. 

I've run R888r and Nankang AR1. Very similar and both way grippier than a sporty road tyre. The 888r for me was 1.7 seconds quicker than mpss over a 66 second lap with a standing start.  

Between the two, I'd say the 888 worked better from cold than the Nankang. They're both OK in the wet but I have to say I haven't hit any big puddles in them ever. 

The quickest reasonably priced Road legal tyre would probably be the Extreme vr2 soft compound. They are now the top choice for sprints and hills

They really are for short bursts though. Very track focused. Not a daily tyre

Edited by Kieran O'Quick

Not familiar with those. They're not the Motorsport UK approved lists. The sport version looks good in the pictures though. Quite a bit more thread than some track tyres maybe? 

I've driven 200 miles to a venue on the 888r, did 7 sprints and drove home with no problems. They're a little noisier is all. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

Not familiar with those. They're not the Motorsport UK approved lists. The sport version looks good in the pictures though. Quite a bit more thread than some track tyres maybe? 

I've driven 200 miles to a venue on the 888r, did 7 sprints and drove home with no problems. They're a little noisier is all. 

Ok. The 888r also looks the part :teeth:

I Think I might give them a go.

thanks

The issue beeing they need to be Road legal.

otherwise full Slicks is a no brainer.

i'm going from my everyday 19" rear wheel to a 17" to clear rear brembo, and to get some higher sidewall for lauching, but i have no idea if it's enough, and if the sidewall is too stiff on a street tire.

Edited by Ortega_9

20 hours ago, Ekona said:

Lower the pressures to compensate? 

never have the softness you need for drag racing

im sure there are road legal drag slicks in the UK as there is a series in the UK which requires cars to drive on the road before they can run

Edited by StevoD

My tire pusher Said that the only Way to go  with thoose requirements are M/T et street 275/40-17. Ø 26.1.

otherwise I'll have tires to wide for the wheels, to hard on the sides or to track oriented. 

So I Think I'll have to at least give them a go. 

Pricewise it's about the same as pair of r888r.

now i need to source a pair of 9-10" wide 17".... and an extra set of rear drive shafts just in case.

2 hours ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

Good thinking ahead with the drive shafts. Will be interesting to see how you get on. 

Ofcourse hoping that it wont be needed... but no need to be naive....

And when driving to and from events in the car it's worth having a set in the trunk Anyways.