370Z Alignment Advice.

ZeeZee370

I've had my Roadster GT a few months now and I'm going to get a hunter alignment done at The Ball Joint Centre in Liverpool, which I normally do with every car I buy and I was wondering if most of you just stick with the factory specs or does the Z benefit from a little tweaking for a fast road setup? 

It's a second car, tyre wear isn't a concern as I do low miles (no track use) and it will be garaged Nov - April but good handling is a priority.  I must admit I do find it much more twitchy than I expected and that's coming from a C63, CL63, M6 Gran Coupe and another CL63 in that order, so I'm used to more ponies and torque but I don't remember any of them being as twitchy as the Z at what are low speeds. 

Car has done 35k, just had the rear diff bushes replaced due to the usual culprit leaking and I've got an uprated front anti-roll bar going on in the next couple of weeks before the alignment. 

Tyres:

Front Conti Sport Contact 6 at 5mm. 

Rear Kumho KU39 Ecsta LE Sport, which were new about 600 miles ago when I took the opportunity to go up a size to a 285. 

Really hoping it's just a case of poor alignment as I love the Z - I'll obviously report back on what they find but I'm interested to hear any views on alignment specs before I get it done. 

Cheers 

Yes, the standard settings can be tweaked to suit your driving style and requirements.

However, I am not surprised that the car is suffering from handling defects as your tyre choice will not be helping and this would be the first thing that I would address.

Have a read through this:  http://www.the370z.com/brakes-suspension/1199-suspension-adjustments-how-they-affect-handling.html

+1:thumbs: ^^^

The 370 I enjoyed for nearly 5 years was an absolute joy to drive, but made sure it had the best available tyres then available with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on all 4 corners and regular alignment checks. 

So many times we have heard of issues like you have raised and invariably it comes from mixing tyres and having upped the sizes on the rear that may not have helped matters I fear.

But get the alignment done first and see what that does. Good luck.

Appreciate the replies fellas. 

It was just as twitchy prior to the rear tyre change, so I don't think the change from a 275 to a 285 has had much of a detrimental impact.  It has always been my intention to replace the 245s on the front with a 255 to restore some of the balance but I want to get a bit more use out of the Conti's before I bin them. 

Will report back post anti-roll bar upgrade and hunter alignment. 

1 hour ago, ZeeZee370 said:

Appreciate the replies fellas. 

It was just as twitchy prior to the rear tyre change, so I don't think the change from a 275 to a 285 has had much of a detrimental impact.  It has always been my intention to replace the 245s on the front with a 255 to restore some of the balance but I want to get a bit more use out of the Conti's before I bin them. 

Will report back post anti-roll bar upgrade and hunter alignment. 

Go carefull with stiffer anti roll bars on a already twitchy set up I learnt that the hard way my car became so unpredictable in the wet 

A full set of mps4s and a good geo at centre gravity transformed the handling 100%

Grips for fun now :)

• 2 months later...
On 16/07/2018 at 22:23, nissanman312 said:

Go carefull with stiffer anti roll bars on a already twitchy set up I learnt that the hard way my car became so unpredictable in the wet 

A full set of mps4s and a good geo at centre gravity transformed the handling 100%

Grips for fun now :)

I'll second this, good tyres are the key if you like driving hard, definitely worth spending the extra on MPS4Ss and they wear well as well.