Spun it!

RichieP

Well it had to happen at some point. I was coming home in the rain and came off the dual carriage way up onto a roundabout, notorious in the area for being slippy in the rain, not that I knew that at the time. Anyway, was coming round the first corner and the back end just went out a bit so I instinctually turned the wheel to correct it and ended up spinning 180 and travelling back into a kerb.

Didn't do too much damage (was only going about 20 if that), just a bit of a kerbed wheel, bent lower arm and shocker. Only problem is the parts won't get here til 16th april so the car will be off the road till then. Had only been driving it 6 days lol.

Oh well, learning experience I guess going from 75bhp FWD to 275bhp RWD. Was the first time I'd taken it out in the rain too, will make sure to take roundabouts easier in the future! :blush:

These things happen mate, don't worry yourself about it too much. I have to say, I find the ESP pretty good on the Zed and if it kicks in it seems to do the right thing more often than not so you learn to trust it after a while but then again I have been in mine for a year and a half now.

Glad you're ok though and the car is on the mend :)

Its a big learning curve bud so glad you came out relatively unscathed. Get used to people looking at you like you are an idiot in bad weather. Roundabouts can be pretty scary places with diesel on them.

Assuming parts from a dealer then that sounds pretty quick. Best of luck with it and heres to next time ;)

I'm glad this isn't another "Binned it" thread. Don't let it put you off, perhaps a half day car handling course might be useful? I've been thinking about doing one for aaaages so I can't talk but it might help you get back in the saddle more quickly.

Glass half full: Take the opportunity to uprate the suspension? :teeth:

Yeah I was thinking of doing a course way before I got the car but I think I should defiantly do one now. I haven't really pushed the car since I got it as I wanted to wait to have a track day with it to learn its limits. Not sure what the tyres are, would have a look but its round a mates house in his garage.

Anyone know of any good courses in the midlands area? or even further afield?

How you holding up bud any news from the insurance? :blush:

Yeah I was thinking of doing a course way before I got the car but I think I should defiantly do one now. I haven't really pushed the car since I got it as I wanted to wait to have a track day with it to learn its limits. Not sure what the tyres are, would have a look but its round a mates house in his garage.

Anyone know of any good courses in the midlands area? or even further afield?

glad you okay mate and that it werent that serious, you just reminded me that i need to book courses to cos my driving sucks big time :blush:

The waiting for the parts really sucks but yeah I'm all good now I reckon. Just want to get back in the car!

Found a course though which I might go on, seems pretty comprehensive:

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/do-hp-s03pm.htm

includes..

Development of advanced observation

Car stability management

Power management and control

Steering methods

Effective exploitation of gear ratios

Braking techniques

Defensive vehicle positioning

Hazard identification and management

Bend assessment

Alternative road positioning methods

Cornering techniques, which includes the linking of bends

Acceleration sense

Overtaking procedures

Fast road driving (motorways and dual carriageways)

Third party perception awareness

Conflict prevention and resolution

VEHICLE HANDLING SESSION

Emergency braking

Tyre grip trade-off

Clutch-drag oversteer (RWD cars)

Power lift oversteer

Cornering forces

Vehicle balance and control

Understeer an oversteer control and avoidance

Collision avoidance

How you holding up bud any news from the insurance? :blush:

Taking it's time as I expected but apparently the car has gone to a salvage yard, which I'm assuming means it's been a write off, which I was hoping for in a way cos I didn't want mine back repaired. I didn't have protected no claims but had 4 years, apparently I will only lose 2 of those, which I was over the moon about as you can imagine. So with my gap insurance and only losing the 2 years no claims it hasn't turned out all bad. More I think about it the more I want another one. Been driving around in my works van looking at other alternatives and there really isn't anything on the road at the moment for that sort of price range that even comes close. Just hope all the younger drivers can learn a lesson from my mistake and Richie's and just take it easy and know what you're driving limits are. I know mine now, albeit a little too late.

Its a harsh lesson tho mate! But yeh not gonna lie to you defo stil learning how to drive the zed properly! I came from a 1.4 to the zed so its a big change! But yeh starting to kno my limits etc. Spoken to a few peeps who jumped to big engines and wrote off their car within a couple of weeks so am taking it nice and easy just now!