Brake judder on track day

Paul_B

Hi everyone 

took the 350 on the track first time today, noticed after 2-3 laps going hard I would get awful brake judder, the car had new brembo discs and brembo pads 1 year ago. Do you think the discs are warped or just the lack of performance from them??

thanks

Decent pads and discs will help. Exactly what ones did you buy? Brembo discs are generally good, but I don't rate their regular pads at all. It's very important to make sure you don't sit there with your foot on the brakes in the paddock when you've just come off track though, as this is what normally causes it. Also make sure you do a proper cool down lap, which is one lap without touching the brakes at all.

Best way to clear a disc is either skimming them or you can try a bedding in procedure again.

They won't clean themselves up sadly. In my incident, it happen mid session so knew it wasn't to do with cool down lap or holding foot brake on in paddock. The OE spec pads after a few laps of Silverstone National, overheated and begun to deposit on the discs. 

A brake bedding in process is very much worth a go, as this sorted mine out. Sounds strange as excess heat essentially caused the issue and now you're using heat again to remedy.

5a795efcab725_Fotor_1517068959842982.thumb.jpg.f4fc00b4daf09e575f3ebce8089c415f.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Yep, it's just depositing.

Careful how you drive when coming into the pits and pulling up, they are usually still incredibly hot and this is when I guess it happens mostly.

We went to Spa last year in the E92 M3, after a track day at Snett, and as we were approaching the hotel the brake judder was violently shaking the car.

Predictably just before lunchtime and several laps they were fine :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had extreme brake judder when I was running DBA T2 discs with standard oem brembo pads at Cadwell park. The pads weren't up to the job and left some deposits on the disc.

I had my warped discs skimmed by Marcus at Disc skimmers and he found the hub of the wheel was not perfectly flat which magnifies the issue. He thinks it's because I had my wheels badly refurbed.

Discs skimmed, hubs filed down to be flat and then replaced the pads with DS2500s.  Took it to Cadwell Park again and car was fine all day, not to mention the significant improvement in braking power.