My New Job, by Andrew aged 27 and a half.

AK350Z

This is hopefully the one that's going to get me that Zed!

Previously i've mostly been an industrial electrician, minus a three year break at Uni to study aircraft enginnering. That didn't work out; cheers 9/11! :dry:

I have been in training for a couple of months, getting all the basics out the way so i can go offshore to these:

IMG_2111.jpg

They are currently building a windfarm in the Solway Firth http://www.eon-uk.com/generation/robinrigg.aspx, and being a local lad, I jumped at the chance! There's not a lot going on round here, and not everyone wants to work a Sellafield!

Saftey training complete, the company is sending me and my fellow trainees to various other sites to gain experience while our site is being built.

My initial placement has been in Holland, unfortunatly for the past two weeks we have been weathered off!

Yesterday however, the swell abated long enough for us to get out for the first time. :yahoo:

IMG_2116.jpg

Dropping off:

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

All the gear was offloaded to the Turbine

IMG_2134.jpg

We are basically shadowing experienced crews on their regular work, learn by doing, as they say.

The turbine nacelle is 90m above the platform, and its a long old climb, of course you are clipped on to a fall arrest rail, but a rest break was required halfway!

IMG_2179.jpg

To Work in the nacelle:

IMG_2146.jpg

Its rather tight in there with 4-5 blokes!

IMG_2152.jpg

At the back, there's a hatch in the floor to hoist stuff up. Its a proper black hole!

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

I spent most of the moring crawling about in the hub, its a bit like being in the space ship - no windows, and everything looks the same no matter which way round you are!

Access was rather tight:

Image075.jpg

Working space little better!

Image072.jpg

In the afternoon, the weather improved, and i could go and top up the coolant. Via the roof! :scare:

IMG_2176.jpg

It took a few minutes to get used to that, i can tell you! Standing on a flexing fiberglass roof, with a breeze and a slack line. :wacko:

The views were amazing though:

IMG_2158.jpg

Little bit of video:

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/AK350Z/Offshore/?action=view&current=MVI_2163.flv

5pm and it was time to go home:

IMG_2199.jpg

I think i might get used to this! Dispite having to sit around for two weeks beforehand :rant: Can't help the weather though i suppose.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an electrician and I really do fancy getting out of the domestic side and into something more like what you're doing. What kind of work is involved? Is it purely maintenance? My apprenticeship involved domestic work, but I also had alot of experience in industrial, factories etc and also commercial builds, office blocks and what not. So this would mean as far as a maintenance side is concerned I would know very little.

WOW!!! :yahoo:

Thats what you call a job!

:boat: Oh I do feel sea sick just looking at those pictures.. excellent photography mate - never mind doing electrical stuff get taking more pics and send them into the Digital phot mags - they pay you £130 if its published - that will buy you one clear reflector for your Zed for a start! :lol:

Good luck with the job and don't forget to pick up your cream bun from Stan's Cake shop emporium when I start it! :thumbs:

I'm an electrician and I really do fancy getting out of the domestic side and into something more like what you're doing. What kind of work is involved? Is it purely maintenance? My apprenticeship involved domestic work, but I also had alot of experience in industrial, factories etc and also commercial builds, office blocks and what not. So this would mean as far as a maintenance side is concerned I would know very little.

Its mostly maintenance and installing modifications, if you have done an aprenticeship you'll be fine. Out of the 15 of us that started about two thirds are electricians in one form or another, and the rest are fitters. The company dosn't do seperate trades though - you're expected to do both electrical and mechanical work, as there is usually only 2 guys working on the turbine.

Although we have one lad who did PLC's and elecronics who's never touched anything above 12Vdc! :)

There are loads of offshore windfarms planned, especially on the east coast! http://www.bwea.com/ukwed/offshore.asp

Google them - most sites have their own website. I just applied to an ad in the local paper!

Sorry Martin, theres two boats on order for us already! Incidentally, i may yet get a placement at the Barrow site, i'll let you know. :boat::teeth:

Nice post :thumbs:

I like seeing what other people do, especially when its so far removed from my day to day life. I've often wondered what goes on at the top of one of those things too...

I know what you mean, i check the site every day, but what i'm really looking for are new picture threads! :lol:

Its mostly maintenance and installing modifications, if you have done an aprenticeship you'll be fine. Out of the 15 of us that started about two thirds are electricians in one form or another, and the rest are fitters. The company dosn't do seperate trades though - you're expected to do both electrical and mechanical work, as there is usually only 2 guys working on the turbine.

Although we have one lad who did PLC's and elecronics who's never touched anything above 12Vdc! :)

There are loads of offshore windfarms planned, especially on the east coast! http://www.bwea.com/ukwed/offshore.asp

Google them - most sites have their own website. I just applied to an ad in the local paper!

Sorry Martin, theres two boats on order for us already! Incidentally, i may yet get a placement at the Barrow site, i'll let you know. :boat::teeth:

Yeah I did a full apprenticeship, been qualified for nearly a year now. I want another year or two experience before I leave though as I'm comfortable at the moment. The mechanical side would interest me as although I am qualified, it's more the installation side the interests me than the technical side if you follow me :) I was thinking about going on the oil rigs or possibly even the research bases at the south pole. Only problem with the latter is it is about £25k a year, although it is tax free, it's not very much for spending most of your year with penguins and polar bears. I'll definately look into this in the future, pictures make it look fascinating :thumbs:

Well sure as hell beats sittin in an office 9-5, 5 days a week

wasn't being critical, just joking. in all honesty, i would love to have a job that's different to the humdrum. you could never imagine as a kid that one day you'd work somewhere like that, and i bet it's a good topic of conversation when someone asks 'what do you do for a living?'

Yeah I did a full apprenticeship, been qualified for nearly a year now. I want another year or two experience before I leave though as I'm comfortable at the moment. The mechanical side would interest me as although I am qualified, it's more the installation side the interests me than the technical side if you follow me :) I was thinking about going on the oil rigs or possibly even the research bases at the south pole. Only problem with the latter is it is about £25k a year, although it is tax free, it's not very much for spending most of your year with penguins and polar bears. I'll definately look into this in the future, pictures make it look fascinating :thumbs:

I am a industrial electrician too, have been for 28 years :scare: Did a five year apprenticeship. The only thing i have noticed today is that the apprenticeships seem to be about 3 year's now and they get a better qualification than i ever got, yet the apprentice's we have don't seem to have a clue when it come's to hands on experience :blush: But like you say they have to do both mechanical and electrical.

Mainly do plc's myself today and that is just not fault finding them, i build complete systems from the ground up and write the programmes. Experienced in Mitsubishi, Square D, Siemens S5 and S7 and do HMI and SCADA work too, but also change the odd light bulb, or replace the odd 500 horse power motor. :)

Look's like you have an interesting job here and nice pic's. :thumbs:

being offshore, how good's the reception on the tv in the turbine's canteen? :lol:

We do have wireless internet access though! we have to bring our own kettle/microwave/georgeformangrill :lol:

I am a industrial electrician too, have been for 28 years Did a five year apprenticeship. The only thing i have noticed today is that the apprenticeships seem to be about 3 year's now and they get a better qualification than i ever got, yet the apprentice's we have don't seem to have a clue when it come's to hands on experience But like you say they have to do both mechanical and electrical.

Don't worry, I reckon your apprenticeship was better than mine, there's no substitute for time spent.