Pop Up Bonnet Light - Not the Usual

cammmy

Hi all

I bought a Cat D 370 that looked like someone had reversed into the F/L corner. The damage was very light and neither the airbags or pop system were triggered.

During the repair process, I took the bumper off. I disconnected the center sensor and removed the L/H and R/H sensors from the bumper, leaving them connected. I did start the car with the center sensor disconnected.

My pop up bonnet light is on at all times. It doesn't flash, it stays on solidly. I've tried the reset procedure online but not joy. I bit the bullet and got a Consult 3 unit (Chinese) and software. Connecting it up, it reads a comms error with all three sensors (even though only 1 was disconnected). I've tried erasing the code but no joy, I think it's one that can't be erased and means there's an issue that needs fixing. I was able to erase a past code under a different system about irregular voltage. So I believe the unit/software works.

My questions are.

Does anyone know if/where the fuse is for the pop up bonnet ECU? I've been pulling out fuses left right and centre to see if there's one that's blown, but nothing so far. I haven't been able to find one labelled anything like pop up bonnet or PPS.

Does anyone know what resistance the sensors should have? I can't imagine that someone reversing at a relatively low speed into one corner would trip all three sensors, but it would be good to measure them. Also, Consult specifically says Comms error, rather than something like "sensor out of range", which is what I'd expect.

I've left the car with the battery disconnect for several weeks when not in use, but that hasn't helped.

I've tracked the loom from the sensors up to what I believe to be the pop up ECU (next to the battery) but can't see any damage.

I'm struggling to find info on this system as the manuals posted online are for US cars, which don't have this.

Thanks

Cam

20170806_141414.jpg

Edited by cammmy

Thanks for the response, it's hasn't deployed though. The airbags and bonnet are still where they should be.

I managed to get a multimeter on the center sensor but forgot to hit post on my edit. I think it was 670 ohms. Does anyone know where I can get the values for what it should be?

I'm guessing that if the car was off but the accident did trip all 3 sensors, when the car was started it would pick up that they were reading wrong but it shouldn't trash the ECU? Same as starting it with the sensors disconnected.

I'd like to rule out all the 0 cost options, like fuses, before replacing parts. Even from Chinese suppliers, new sensors would be about £600 and another £200+ for a second hand ecu

What Kev and Andy have said.

370 and R35 use similar systems and in your case a proper reset should work.

I would guess that you are not following the correct procedure with your resets or the Chinese Consult/sofware is not up to the job.

Give Abbey a shout.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

I'm intrigued as to why all three have thrown a code when I only disconnected one though.

I'll report back when I have something further. If anyone does know the location of any fuses, or what the resistance of the sensors should be, it would be good to cross the of the list too.

Ta

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few cars I have seen that have had bodged repairs. It may have had the Poppers deploy and they could have been hammered back down. How sure are you that the light was't on when you purchased the car? If you end up needing the poppers I have 2 sets. Hopefully Mark can sort it through Consult though :thumbs: 

Great, thanks for that. I honestly can't remember unfortunately. I took it home on a transporter and one of the first things I did was take it apart to look for damage.

I don't expect it to be a bad repair as I bought it straight from the salvage yard in an unrepaired state, but you never know.

Ta

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the delayed update. Mark correctly diagnosed this to a dead control module for the pop up system. It was resolved by swapping it out for another unit. Everything else looks untouched. The lifters etc don't look like they've ever been fired or replaced.