Back in the land of the living!

Zeezeebaba

Well after nigh on 20 years of working shifts and unsociable hours/ weekends I have gained a new employer and a normal working week. 

I've always worked hard in my sector and it didn't go unnoticed thankfully.

It's for a smaller competitor but is a promotion with all the usual benefits operations management  involves, car etc.

When collecting my daughter from school the other day I told her the news and she started crying. When I asked what was wrong she replied " I'm not sad dad I'm happy to be getting my dad back every weekend and Christmas" . I then realised my son who is 20 never had me around for key stages when growing up, in today's fast tracked world it's easy to forget the most important things in the quest to pay the bills.

Up until that point my focus had been on career advancement and making sure my retirement in 20 years would be as comfortable as possible. 

Now I have a chance to atone for that and return to a normality that has been so foreign for so long. The Z is booked in for its last MOT in September and will be up for sale shortly after.

It will be replaced with a true lightweight weekender probably a lotus but we will see.

Hard work but good times ahead and I can't b****y wait :)

• Like 3

Great news that you will get more time with the daughter and the rest of the family, ...I'm sure though that your grown up son understands now what you did for him in providing him with a good upbringing, safe home as well as the things he needed growing up.

Enjoy every second as it sounds like you've earnt it. :drunk::thumbs: 

• Like 1

We'll done and enjoy the changes :thumbs:

I've been in the Merchant Navy for almost 20 years now and have missed more public holidays, birthdays, and other important events than I can count. 

My kids are all under 5, and I get to spend 3 whole weeks at a time with them so it's not all bad at the moment. And way better than the 4 months away 2 months home I used to do!

• Like 1