Changing gear knob

Kev

I'm about to change the gearknob on my z. 

Ive seen a few vids and threads where people remove the trim surrounding the stick, to grip the stick with mole grips. 

Is there any reason why they don't just wrap a cloth around the gaiter and grip the stick without removing anything?

im scared of breaking a clip/tab or something removing the trim. 

Thanks

45 minutes ago, Kev said:

Couldn't find a Tommy k hebi bebi so went with the second best option. 

Did consider another oem but they wear so badly. Never seen one that looks good. 

image.jpeg

Beautiful!! Where did you get that lol??

Have you tried just twisting it? I've had my knob off a couple of times and it was never on super tight.

The gear surround pops off really easily though, just pull from the rearmost part up. There's nothing you can really break.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, da.murf said:

Beautiful!! Where did you get that lol??

I got it from rhdjapan. 

I was worried it might take a while to arrive but i only ordered it 5 days ago. 

8 minutes ago, Roicey said:

Have you tried just twisting it? I've had my knob off a couple of times and it was never on super tight.

The gear surround pops off really easily though, just pull from the rearmost part up. There's nothing you can really break.

I'll try that first. 

I'm glad I seen the thread about removing them as I would have probably damaged my gearbox if it's on as tight as most are. 

You'll not do any damage unless you really have to put serious pressure to turn it. When I changed one the first time, I went to the trouble of lifting the trim and wrapping a cloth around the stick and using mole grips, but the ****ing thing basically fell off :lol: So 100% check first.

The ones by Mopedmark, in the members traders section, are excellent!

Much better in terms of smoothness and positive action of shift, as well as tactility and looking great too :thumbs:

My new zed has been treated to an unpainted brushed one; it's improved the shift considerably.  So much better that oem; second one I've bought (had on previous zed & had similar great results) 

Arrived well packaged in just two days total too :)

P.s. I managed to hold the shaft, through the gaitor, with one hand and twist the oem one off with the other.  Took a lot of initial effort and needed to put gloves on to get traction, but all fitted within a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

Oversteer is spot on, Mark's are superb quality, a single piece & weighted perfectly. I used a pair of molegrips on the shaft after lifting up the console, then a large pair of dogleg pliers on the old knob as it was hard to get moving, once it moved the new one was on 20 seconds later: https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/107048-blinged-custom-gear-knobs-new-stock-available/?page=7#comment-1666535

• Like 1

It wasn't easy to remove. I used grips on the shaft and a wrench on the knob. 

New nismo one looks and feels great. Really pleased with it. 

Edited by Kev