What's this and why's it leaking?

MDMetal

Descriptive!

I've had a slow oil leak for awhile and having changed the filter, oil and sump plug last weekend I was hoping it was the sump plug seal. However it seems not to be as the leak is no worse (visible vs invisible)

My car has an extra intercooler installed by a previous owner, This means there's a plate on the oil filter that connects the two lines out to the intercooler. (Is this called a sandwich plate?)

Anywho on this plate as well as the oiler filter and in/out oil feeds there's another mysterious screw and I believe it's this that's leaking (on the photos it's one of the higher components but still has oil dripping from it) What does this little screw do? I did undo it when I changed the oil but it's fully tightened back up. I'd guess the seal has gone and needs replacing now though? (silver nut in the photos)

WHile I'm here what holds the plate on, is it just the original oil filter fitting? I can move it left and right slightly before it hits the sump pan.

1FL0B4h.jpg

mjdJ9AK.jpg

zcNNzBD.jpg

It could be a simple gasket weep from the silver bolt/screw, but also that might only be where the oil is gathering and dripping. Replacing the gasket washer should be very simple if you need to.

What is more worrying is that you can easily move the sandwich plate. In my experience the plate will bolt on to the usual threaded shaft that the oil filter screws on to, and should be held in place tightly with no movement. The oil filter then screws on. It sounds like it has worked loose and could be leaking from the join between the plate and the car.

sandwich plate is held on by internal nut which may have come lose, also thing on side is for temp sensor/pressure gauge possibly, unbolt it wrap bolt in ptfe tape and put back in, for the sandwich plate as mentioned remove everything redo and retighten but will require dropping oil so looks like an oil change is due soon also then

Edited by jumping350

Can do, what does that screw do? It's got a spring behind it I seem to recall.

Is there likly to be a seal/gasket between the plate and the engine that needs changing too? Or just the seal between the nut and plate?

Redid the oil last week so I can pretend this is an intended flush!

Edited by MDMetal

Depending on the brand its more then likely a oil pressure / temp sensor hole on the side, mishimoto (spelling?) For example have this

It could be just loose as the sandwich plate screws on like the traditional oil filter would. Lets hope its just that eh!

Some of those sandwich plates have a oil temp sensor which screws in the side of them. This effectively stops the oil going through the external oil cooler until its reached a certain temperature, after which it opens up and allows the oil through.