Astro Turf / Artificial Grass.

14N

OK, this is about as off topic as it gets I know. :lol: But has anyone used/is using/has fitted artificial grass in their garden?

Got a large area of decking that is a bit of a PITA treating every year and was considering laying some astro turf on top of it. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with the stuff.

If you can lay a carpet, you can lay this stuff, pretty much the same procedure. Just lay a 6 mm ply board base and away you go. Not difficult at all mate.

Edit: Make sure you either paint or waterproof the ply before laying the A G.

Edited by Irn Bru
  • Like 1

Cheers chaps. Would I be able to lay it directly onto treated decking, or does it need a plywood base?

The area I'm looking to do is 7m X 4m which (after a quick search) would be circa £250 ish to fully cover in artificial grass. Given the amount of time and £££ it takes each year/18 months to re-do the decking, I didn't think that was too bad.

Cheers chaps. Would I be able to lay it directly onto treated decking, or does it need a plywood base?

The area I'm looking to do is 7m X 4m which (after a quick search) would be circa £250 ish to fully cover in artificial grass. Given the amount of time and £££ it takes each year/18 months to re-do the decking, I didn't think that was too bad.

I would tbh, as then you've got firm flat surface to use, as opposed to a ribbed and spaced surface, will prevent it from tearing easily also if you ply board it

• Like 1

The Astroturf has micro holes at the rear for the water to pass through. Laying on a ply base, after a heavy rainfalll, the water has nowhere to escape so will remain wetter for longer to dry out. Decking planks have a expansion gap so laying direct on the decking, would be a better option and can be nailed down.

• Like 2

Cheers guys. I'm discovering more as I look into this. :thumbs:

You can actually buy perforated underlay designed for use with AG when laying onto decking. Who knew such a thing even existed :shrug::lol:

I feel a project brewing....

I've literally just finished laying my own artificial grass in my garden - but replacing old lawn so cant comment on your situation.

I can definitely recommend http://primelawns.co.uk/ for the grass - i got the Sailsbury grass at £15 per sq/m, for a 4m x 7m roll + £35 delivery, so a total of about £455. They do a 6x free sample box. You want to choose a lawn with 'dead bits' in it for realism.

The only other advice ive got is that the grass on a roll is incredibly heavy! I'm 6'2 and pretty handy, and this stuff was really difficult to move. In fairness i did it all on my own without any help, but definitely bare it in mind.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris :thumbs: I'm hoping the delivery will include dumping the roll in the back garden :lol:

You can't beat the smell of newly mown polypropylene!

I guess I could always buy a mower just to go through the motions....

• Like 1