Pilot Sport 4 Pressures

Colin747

Would anyone have an idea what pressure these should be running at for stock Ray sizes? I know there's a lot of factors but just a base line for on the road to start with would be a help for me.

Tyre pressures are determined by the vehicle manufacturer, not the tyre manufacturer (who will list a max pressure the tyre can handle).

As above, 35psi is what Nissan recommend for the 350Z.

Tyre pressures are determined by the vehicle manufacturer, not the tyre manufacturer (who will list a max pressure the tyre can handle).

As above, 35psi is what Nissan recommend for the 350Z.

ahh OK, I always assumed it was the other way around....thinking back this explains a lot haha

Tyre pressures are set by the manufacturer based on using OEM tyres, so as soon as you stop using those then that pressure no longer applies. You wouldn't run 35psi if you put 888s on, would you?! :lol: So Strudel is kind of right, but only if you're using Bridgestones, which you're not.

The correct thing to do is adjust pressure based on how the new tyres feel, which is mostly based on sidewall stiffness, and also how you intend to use them. For example, 888s on track would be around 26-28psi, but the MPSS work better with a couple extra psi in so about 37psi would be more appropriate. I've yet to try the MPS4, however given that Michelin sidewalls are usually a tad softer than other manufacturers (which is why you get good feedback from them), then I'd suggest the same 37psi as a starting point.

However, as with all things they should be adjusted to suit the driver and how he feels they're performing for him. If you think they're a tad skittish, drop them back to 35 or even lower. As long as they're not ballooning massively in the middle which would be shown by excessive wear in the centre, or so floppy that the edges are wearing much quicker, there's no right or wrong. Just do whatever you feel makes the car feel happiest to you :thumbs:

• Like 1

Tyre pressures are set by the manufacturer based on using OEM tyres, so as soon as you stop using those then that pressure no longer applies. You wouldn't run 35psi if you put 888s on, would you?! :lol: So Strudel is kind of right, but only if you're using Bridgestones, which you're not.

The correct thing to do is adjust pressure based on how the new tyres feel, which is mostly based on sidewall stiffness, and also how you intend to use them. For example, 888s on track would be around 26-28psi, but the MPSS work better with a couple extra psi in so about 37psi would be more appropriate. I've yet to try the MPS4, however given that Michelin sidewalls are usually a tad softer than other manufacturers (which is why you get good feedback from them), then I'd suggest the same 37psi as a starting point.

However, as with all things they should be adjusted to suit the driver and how he feels they're performing for him. If you think they're a tad skittish, drop them back to 35 or even lower. As long as they're not ballooning massively in the middle which would be shown by excessive wear in the centre, or so floppy that the edges are wearing much quicker, there's no right or wrong. Just do whatever you feel makes the car feel happiest to you :thumbs:

Great bit of info there, many thanks!

No probs fella. Please let us know how you get on with them, will be very interested to see what they're like on a 350. :)

I've had them for about three months now, over the moon with them but to be fair they're the first proper performance tyre I've had on a car so I may not be the best judge! I've not had any unexpected tail out incidents on them, even in the pouring rain and wheel spin is a thing of the past if that's any use haha

• 3 weeks later...

35 all round will be fine and it should keep the wear on the tyre spot on. I'm looking forward to replacing all 4 to MPS4 soon too,should be interesting as I've been running MPSS for a while now.