Low RPM idle / Engine woes

Olly350z

Its just a case of unbolting and disconnecting the throttle body, however sometimes it may be necessary to do a throttle relearn procedure, but if you disconnect the battery before removing it, you should be OK, no need to clean the PCV,.

Thanks everyone, especially TrickyRicky and Dan for putting up with my dumb questions, do wish some of you were more local to supervise me haha. I love learning but this thing has bitten me everytime

So Im going to look for another MAF sensor, change the plugs and lastly a new battery in that order and see if that cures my low idle, how does that sound?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, especially TrickyRicky and Dan for putting up with my dumb questions, do wish some of you were more local to supervise me haha. I love learning but this thing has bitten me everytime

So Im going to look for another MAF sensor, change the plugs and lastly a new battery in that order and see if that cures my low idle, how does that sound?

That sounds a lot more expensive than cleaning the throttle butterfly first.

You will be surprised what a difference it can make and even if it isn't a full cure it can only offer an improvement.

If you aren't confident in removing it then simply remove the inlet pipe and slray around the butterfly, leave for 5 mins then do it again. Gentle agitation with an old toothbrush can help remove some of the gum too.

People caution moving the butterfly by hand to get at any muck behind it but I have found that as long as you are gentle and push slowly there isn't a problem. Its a common maintenance task for any car with a EGR system that has done a few miles and my cars always get a clean up every 12 months.

I could try and tie it in with the fitting of the plenum spacer... Would make sense for both to be off and then could look to getting it remapped the following month, would give a good indication of the engine health...

Where in W Sussex are you Olly?
  • Like 1

Where in W Sussex are you Olly?

Littlehampton bud, right on the coast. But happy to travel for some Zed days with fellow petrol heads!

Thanks Dan, was just always brought up that its not a dumb question if you learn from it. Guess thats how we built my old engine and why it took so long with me fannying around lol.

Just this is the one thing I dont enjoy is when it throws up issues because I dont have the knowledge of VQs to understand them fully. Like just where this low idle has come out of nowhere

• Like 1