Kaaz 1.5/2 diff - any extras req ?

RobPhoboS

I am looking at some point in getting a Kaaz 1.5 way diff Super Q (I presume the 2 way is a waste for me, not drifting).

I prefer grip over slip, doing track days.

I've looked at a few guides to give me the rough idea but I don't know what extras, if any I require with this specific diff, or if there are other modifications to be done ?

Cheers for any help on this :thumbs:

I have just put a Kaaz 2-way in mine. Dont think its too intrusive on braking and keeps future options open but they do recommend 1.5 for track, i dont think there is much in it. I went for the super-Q for what little extra it costs. The extra things needed/recommended were new seals kit and Kaaz specific diff oil. I also took the opportunity to put upgraded whiteline bushes in.

I bought a doner diff housing (pumpkin) so it was built independantly meaning it could be fitted in one morning. This means i have my old diff spare if you want to go down that route.

Early feeling is it gives you much more push out of corners and when steering is only slightly turned, when steering is moderate-full turned induces much more oversteer/powerslides but easier to control. I can see why racers and drifters alike love them.

They are very clicky/hoppy at slow tight speeds but who wants to drive a zed at 5mph anyhow, the super-q does seem quieter than the youtube videos i watched so its not just marketing.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I already have the bushings done and definitely Super Q :thumbs:

So you didn't need to change any bearings, or add shims ect ?

So the seals would be these parts:

38342-P9010 x 2 (Output Shaft Seal)

38189-P0117 x 1 (Pinion Seal)

Bearings might need replacing - might not. Mileage and maintenance dependent.

I've got no real idea if they are knackered or not (doesn't feel it). I guess I can always get the Z1 kit if needs be.

Edited by RobPhoboS

I have the Kazz 1.5 on the 350 and can confirm their is no lurch or pitch, it just digs in and launches you out of corners, it is though more noisy on tight turns.

+1

I would recommend buying spare hex bolts for adjusting the diff, If you need some I have plenty (ordered 8 thinking they were single items, not the packs of 4 they come in :blush: ) They turn to toffee if you torque them to spec twice :surrender:

• Like 1

That's not how it always goes so there must be an anomaly. How is yours' set up? What percent?

I set mine to 60% for usability which for my driving ( mostly road with occasional track days ) is perfect.

• Like 1

Also on the US forums they mentioned that after the viscous tears, which it does over time, it's basically like driving without a diff.

Their words.

Which I'm guessing means like driving with an open diff. If there was no diff then it wouldn't go anywhere...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1.5 ways super Q on my 350 ( now I am selling the diff because the car is for sale, if interested pm me ).

I had it installed without extra parts... reused the seals and the bearings ( if you know the proper way to remove and reinstall them they could be reused without problems).

The diff is a bit noisy and clunky at slow manouver speed , but its normal, even if its a super q. I didnt notice any additional understeer or pushing, the car just drives a lott better! You have a lot more traction and a lot more control when you drift! Used it for 3 - 4 trackdays , with an oil change in the middle, and when I removed it from the car it looked like sparkling new ! So I can only speak good about it.