Road Trip Italian Lakes - Need Your Experience

Stutopia

I'm gonna float the idea of a summer/autumn road trip with my mates, the basics being 2 weeks travelling, probably going to stick the cars on the train and go to Lyon. From there, drive into Switzerland to do the passes, then Stelvio, then it's on to Italy. Now I know my way around Switzerland and to Stelvio, what I don't know is anything about the lakes of Italy, but I'm betting you guys do.

Please suggests specific places or even full routes, towns activities, culture, anything of note. I'm already thinking about trying to also work in Modena, for the super car factories, so no need to cover that.

GO!

I've been to Italy a few times on road trips, Garda and Como, Como for easier access to Stelvio, Garda, especially the northern 2/3rds is an epic piece of scenery.

We've come in from France, Switzerland and Austria, the entry in from Austria through the Timmelsjoch pass is without doubt one of the most stunning passes I've ever motored over, takes you from the Austrian Tyrol to the Italian Tyrol.

On my IPad so posting lots of pics in one go is challenging for my limited skills on this post, I'll edit as I upload some photos of what to expect.

This is the old Austrian/Italian frontier and comes straight out the blue.

IMG_1545_zps55bhfwle.jpg

Italy and the Italians are genuinely charming, not got a bad word to say about the place or people. I'd get on YouTube if I were you and search for motoring trips in northern Italy to give you a better idea.

You'll need to translate this http://www.alpenpaesse.co/ITALIEN-Timmelsjoch_p325

You can expect to wander places like this:

IMG_1740_zpswv7gwo3k.jpg

IMG_1753_zpsk8x0ijz4.jpg

image_zpsb3cmtnfa.jpeg

IMG_1715_zpsxx1y7ciy.jpg

image_zps9mmb5f10.jpeg

IMG_1663_zpsfq7gwthv.jpg

Bologna is a beautiful little city, very close to Modena and the Ferrari and Ducati factories, good base for Monza as well, hope you have a great time :thumbs:

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 4

Will, this was a random suggestion from my Mrs, it came as a complete surprise :), had a play later in that holiday with a Maserati Quatra Porte, we both loved that, two very lovely V8's on some of the best Tyrolean roads Italy has to offer. South of France this year for us, but I'll be back to Italy next year :thumbs:

Will, this was a random suggestion from my Mrs, it came as a complete surprise :), had a play later in that holiday with a Maserati Quatra Porte, we both loved that, two very lovely V8's on some of the best Tyrolean roads Italy has to offer. South of France this year for us, but I'll be back to Italy next year :thumbs:

Have fun.

I'm putting together plans to do the complete Routes des Grandes alpes this year. I am definitely interested in driving further into Italy next year. We got to the Dolomites last year but one thing that put me off Italy was the volume of traffic, it was significantly worse than Austria and Switzerland. Could of been the time of year though.

No high octane fuel in Italy either as shell pulled out